Esteemed Contributor

Re: My electrician laughed at me.

Ha Ha, I think the house I grew up in had several of those that my dear Dad installed.  My Dad could do (and did) anything like that.  I miss him dearly.

When my Dad was visiting our new home, I had him install one in our dining room.  But it just has a little lever, like a pin sized thing sticking out to adjust the light level.

I don't think your knob would bother me, especially if you got a chuckle out of it every time you looked at it.  That would be worth it to me!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I have a dimmer in the dining room and I love it. 

I have a thing about these cheap plastic cover plates. I always get nice wood ones for my homes when I move in. I think it would look just fine if you got a decorative cover instead of the plastic one. They come in various wood styles and some nice metal ones too, in a lot of different styles for different kinds of decor. 

I will say, some of us do wait a long time to get these little things done! Been there with my husband too! Glad you have a good 'old' one. I opt for the old whenever I can get it. They just don't make things like they used to!

Respected Contributor

@spot555  Can you give me a source for a replacement knob?  I have two of these in my house.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@spot555  Can you give me a source for a replacement knob?  I have two of these in my house.

I got mine on Amazon about 5 years ago (I no longer shop there). They were REALLY inexpensive from that particular seller- all metal, & weighty. 

Let me look around & see what I can find.....Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I've been looking around, & so far all I see are the white or bone colored plastic replacement knobs....plenty of those available. I've looked at a few sites, & so far, nothing.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat , I wouldn’t change a thing.  You now have a co versatile piece! LM

Honored Contributor

@spot555 

check out kyleswitchplates.com . they seem to have a large selection.

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3900/wlejmk/products/969/images/7591/decorative_silver_round_dimmer_knobs__31620.1363380003.310.310.jpg?c=2

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3900/wlejmk/products/978/images/6509/decorative_round_iris_flower_dimmer_knob_dm25__84311.1361493526.310.310.jpg?c=2

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

We have an older one here in the middle picture and a recent one on the left. Hubby is an electrician as well.

Funny story when he first put these in years ago, my parents had never seen them before and didn't know how to work when they first saw them as we have many throughout the house.20190322_162041.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who has this one?  The switch on the left is not only lighted but is the dimmer for the kitchen chandelier.

Where did I get that stylish, up-to-date switch plate, you ask?  Why, the local consignment shop, of course.

IMG_0340.JPG

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

My forlorn old dining room knob:

IMG_0341.JPG

Cogito ergo sum