Esteemed Contributor

Re: My electrician laughed at me.

And, voila!  The secret weapon, hidden in an alcove known only to me, for the eyelid light over the fireplace (which illuminates a painting - the dimmer is the tiny slide on the right side):

IMG_0342.JPG

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We had some of those rotary dimmer switches in our home. My DH replaced two of the switches with the more modern toggle variety.

I hate the new ones and made DH reinstall the rotary switches.  They are so much better, IMO

By the way, you can still buy the rotary type.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the moral support on this, ladies!

@sunshine45   I really like that bottom one with the goldtone and flowers. I may shop around for a replacement.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I think it looks fine but if you want a little more of an updated look, you can easily change those. I just did that to mine and bought a stainless steel color switch plate and they had the matching dimmer too. It was simple to change and very inexpensive. I think all the hardware stores have them. 

Respected Contributor

I can’t believe he laughed at you ...

But, most of these guys that do electrical, plumbing, ac/heat are not trying to be rude, they just say what they think, like it or not. Most of them aren’t too worried about impressing people, just doing their job.

Some of them are real yahoos, but hey, if they know what they’re doing and your happy with their results... 

And, as far as your light switch goes - it works doesn’t it?, so it’s fine! 🙂

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@spot555 @sunshine45   Thank you both!

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL 

Well, in his defense, he didn't actually laugh at ME, he laughed at the light switch.... and I think he felt bad about it because that's when he remarked that it had copper wiring and they don't make them like that anymore, lol.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

When I was looking around for replacement rotary knobs yesterday, I noticed that this type of dimmer is still widely available.

I never did find any metal knobs like I purchased, but the plastic designs are fun. Good job, Sunshine.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I like it and would paint a pansy on it.

Respected Contributor

Nothing dumb about it. It looks fine. Enjoy!