Esteemed Contributor

Re: My electrician laughed at me.

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  since you have toggle switches I think the OG dimmer switch is actually perfect.

Respected Contributor

Looks fine to me - we have many of these.  

Respected Contributor

Ummm,  I have those in my house.  I am not going to change out an electical switch for "aesthetics".  Your electrician must work for HGTV, where every home must be totally re-modeled every five years.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

within the past few years we changed all of ours to these styles:

dimmer.jpg

dimmer_guide4.jpg

for me, it just provided a sleeker, less obtrusive look and they are easy to keep clean.

no right or wrong, just what you personally prefer.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

i have one of those in my dining room!!  it's called retro!!

Honored Contributor

We replaced all of our to the newer, modern looking ones.  I like how the dimmer goes up and down instead of the knob. 

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome to the club!  I almost posted a photo but realized it was embarrassingly dirty.  

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Up & Down  or   Round & Round.....Up & Down style was installed in my kitchen 30 years ago - so it can't be the very NEW.  And I find it HARDER to clean then the button one.  That indented 'frame' seems to collect whatever off hands.

Respected Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I think it looks fine!  Smiley Happy

You can buy a pretty "knob" to replace the current one, if you want. I did that with all of mine, & they look nice. I bought some burnished brass round knobs + the same color metal wallplate. It's updated, & I like it!  

I was going to post the same thing. Just go to someplace like Home Depot and get a new cover and know to update it.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it looks fine. I have a few of those on my walls. I refer to them as the "charm" of the home. I still like dimmer switches in the formal dining room, master bedroom and family room.