Honored Contributor

Such an inconvenience when appliances break down. 

Valued Contributor

I am so lucky mu husband is handy!  There is a website where he can diagnose appliances, the last time that happened although dryer was getting up there in years it looked like the heating element.  At the time it was under $20 for the part.  He ordered and replaced and it has been working just fine for the last couple of years. (I figured if that didn't fix I would only be out $20)  Before that we had a problem and it was soldering on one of the boards, he resoldered and Fixed!

An appliance repair person that came out once told him about it and the you tube videos to repair, The technician said there was no way he could keep up on everything and that is what he does.  

We have saved tons of money.

Respected Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo   You may want to double check your utility companies for possible rebates with a purchase of a new appliance.

Many times, you can get a check (or credit to your account) from either the gas or electric company, and I think I got a rebate from my water company too on the purchase of my new washer a few years ago. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

I dried one load of clothes this morning, dryer worked fine.  The second load, cold air.  Tried all the knobs, etc.  Dug out my owner's manual, found that it was purchased in 2002.  It is a Whirlpool, lasted 20 years and 6 months.  Can't ask for more from an appliance.  I have ordered a new one, also a Whirlpool, made in USA, but delivery is more than a week out.  Don't these things always happen at the worst times?  Sigh.....

I have a Whirlpool that I purchased 30 years ago. I had it cool down about 15 years ago and had a repairman from Sears out to do a repair and it has run fine since then. You should try a repair first.

Trusted Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I haven't had a dryer in 23 years. I use drying racks and a big fan. Works for me, but then again it's just me.

Does that work on towels?

Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo 

So sorry that happened. Never a good time for an appliance to break. Always very aggravating.

My dryer has been making strange noises for a few days. Wondering if it's about to break. It's not that old either. We finally replaced our washer in 2020. It was 15 years old & had been repaired twice before replacing it. We were lucky to get another one at the time as there was and still seems to be a shortage of major appliances. 

Respected Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo, hope your new dryer will be perfect for you.

When my very old dryer recently died, it was so hard to find a proper replacement.

There is very little room where my dryer hookup is, and today's appliances have ballooned in size - particularly their depth. It's nuts!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor
  • Our whirlpool dryer did the same thing like 4 years ago. And it was 15 years old. We had it fixed.it was a gas dryer and it was the thing that lights the fire to heat it . it was only 120 bucks and its still running. Good luck with your new dryer.
Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60 

@kitty60 wrote:

I am so lucky mu husband is handy!  There is a website where he can diagnose appliances, the last time that happened although dryer was getting up there in years it looked like the heating element.  At the time it was under $20 for the part.  He ordered and replaced and it has been working just fine for the last couple of years. (I figured if that didn't fix I would only be out $20)  Before that we had a problem and it was soldering on one of the boards, he resoldered and Fixed!

An appliance repair person that came out once told him about it and the you tube videos to repair, The technician said there was no way he could keep up on everything and that is what he does.  

We have saved tons of money.

My son is the same.  He fixed the dryer as I stated on previous post.  Last week, my electricity went out in half the house.

He put in all new breakers, the repair man wanted 6,000. and I think he was posing as an electrician.

Now my son is going to install up date GFI's.  I myself check it on utube and the directions are very clear. My son has done everything that breaks in his home.  The electrician wants  3200 to do a few GFI's.  I am low income, and just don;t have it.  The electrician that came out the first time, said I need a new breaker box.  He was trying to sell, because he could not fix the problem, but my son did.  The guy wanted to replace all the outlets, well my other son did that.  In today's world, people are getting jobs they are not qualified.  They stick their name on a plate that attaches to their car door.  I think that is what this guy did from the looks of his card.  No license number on his card, just says estimater service tech.  Misleading. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sabatini 

@sabatini wrote:

@Wendy Lou Hoo, hope your new dryer will be perfect for you.

When my very old dryer recently died, it was so hard to find a proper replacement.

There is very little room where my dryer hookup is, and today's appliances have ballooned in size - particularly their depth. It's nuts!

Same happened to me. Very small space. My house 46 years old.  Things are happening.