Frequent Contributor

I dried one load of clothes this morning, dryer worked fine.  The second load, cold air.  Tried all the knobs, etc.  Dug out my owner's manual, found that it was purchased in 2002.  It is a Whirlpool, lasted 20 years and 6 months.  Can't ask for more from an appliance.  I have ordered a new one, also a Whirlpool, made in USA, but delivery is more than a week out.  Don't these things always happen at the worst times?  Sigh.....

Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo   I feel your pain....last Sunday the door on my washer would not lock shut....we have replaced the door mechanics 2x since we had the front loader washer...The part is on its way, hopefully Monday.

In the meantime the laundry is piling up.

I hope you get your dryer in a timely manner.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My dryer has died

[ Edited ]

I sympathize. The same thing happened to me. One minute working, next minute dead. I couldn't get to a store because of bad weather and the difficulty of going anywhere with my husband with dementia. I knew that there were problems with inventory so I got busy online and made a couple of phone calls to our local big box stores. I found a not-outrageously-expensive GE on sale, paid with my credit card and had it delivered the next day. It is as good as any of the many other dryers I bought in the past after I had done a great deal of research.

Super Contributor

why don't you just replace the heating element in the dryer? That's probably all that's wrong with it. 😳 

Honored Contributor

Did you replug it?  Sometimes surges we don't notice can effect appliances.

Esteemed Contributor

@Justholdingon That IS what is wrong - heating element died.  Buying a major part on an old dryer isn't the way to go.  New ones are more energy efficient plus buying an element plus paying for labor.....WOWIE.. you.still have an old appliance.

Respected Contributor

In 2014 a year or 2 after buying a new gas dryer, the drum inside the dryer came loose. It rubbed on other metal turning inside that created unseen sparks & a potential fire. I smelled smouldering & turned the dryer off. It could've been a major disaster. A repairman explained what had happened inside the dryer & told me to buy a new one. I won't say what brand it was, but I'll never buy that appliance brand again.

I'm glad I was home while the dryer was running, and I never ever will leave the house with any appliance on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo 

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

I dried one load of clothes this morning, dryer worked fine.  The second load, cold air.  Tried all the knobs, etc.  Dug out my owner's manual, found that it was purchased in 2002.  It is a Whirlpool, lasted 20 years and 6 months.  Can't ask for more from an appliance.  I have ordered a new one, also a Whirlpool, made in USA, but delivery is more than a week out.  Don't these things always happen at the worst times?  Sigh.....

My timer broke and the repair service where I brought it 6 yrs ago wanted $425 to fix.  Just timer.  Won't go into long story of how incompetent the service guy was, just to say after I ordered the knob from Amazon and my son came over and took of console, found the problem. In 20 min. fixed it. I call the repair service dept. and they gave me back the 85.00 service call charge, after some discussion on my part and my yelp review.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

In 2014 a year or 2 after buying a new gas dryer, the drum inside the dryer came loose. It rubbed on other metal turning inside that created unseen sparks & a potential fire. I smelled smouldering & turned the dryer off. It could've been a major disaster. A repairman explained what had happened inside the dryer & told me to buy a new one. I won't say what brand it was, but I'll never buy that appliance brand again.

I'm glad I was home while the dryer was running, and I never ever will leave the house with any appliance on.

I am the same , will not leave the house w/ an applicance running. When my sons were 6 & 8 they put liquid soap into the dishwasher and turned it on just as we were leaving the house. I had zero idea of what happened and I didn't know why they acted so fidgety and guilty while we were out and about UNTIL we came home. Sigh.

Hardwoods ruined in many of the first floor rooms from the water and soap that went EVERYWHERE. It's been over 20 years since that happened and I still do not leave the house w/ dishwasher, dryer, washing machine on. 

Side note: I did not directly punish my boys as they didn't ruin the floor on purpose. But their indirect punishment was helping load and unload the dishwasher from that point until they went to college. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I haven't had a dryer in 23 years. I use drying racks and a big fan. Works for me, but then again it's just me.