Respected Contributor

@lolakimono   You have done a terrific job decorating with those items.  I'm impressed!  I hope the students will learn from you that you can take pride in where you work and/or live even if it's not the newest and most up to date place around.  

I was watching "trading spaces" last weekend and they were at two different schools where the teams were updating the teachers lounges.  They did a great job and wondering since your building can't be changed due to the historic and/or age, maybe you can submit your school to be on the program?

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  Lovely job! Thanks for not complaining to the PTB. The money simply isn't there in schools and trying to pass legislation is like pulling teeth. (People won't pay higher taxes for anything.) Too many would have opted for cheesy stuff and called it OK. You went out of your way to keep the theme of the classes and did the work yourself.

It says a lot about your perserverence and ambition. I'm sure you are a fabulous Director! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  You did a great job, and I'm sure your co-workers are appreciative. I was thinking when I visited my child's high school for Open House, debates, etc., and several teachers painted their rooms in bold colors. One had used stencils (from Michael's?) over the base color, a couple had colorblocked, and I think one of the talented parents painted scenes on a wall in one of the rooms. Maybe Student Council or parent volunteers could help?

Respected Contributor

You did so much with so little. I'm sure the staff and kids appreciate all you did.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@lolakimono   You have done a terrific job decorating with those items.  I'm impressed!  I hope the students will learn from you that you can take pride in where you work and/or live even if it's not the newest and most up to date place around.  

I was watching "trading spaces" last weekend and they were at two different schools where the teams were updating the teachers lounges.  They did a great job and wondering since your building can't be changed due to the historic and/or age, maybe you can submit your school to be on the program?

@CAcableGirl2 

Thank you!

I saw the previews for that episode.  Hopefully they'll re-run it before the new episode this weekend.

TS could film and entire season at my school, seriously!  We do have a teachers' lounge, in a more "modern" building, and that space is nice.  The problem is that it takes five minutes and three flights of stairs to go over there, so not really a place that's usable for me for bathroom breaks or a 25 minute lunch.  

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@lolakimono  You did a great job, and I'm sure your co-workers are appreciative. I was thinking when I visited my child's high school for Open House, debates, etc., and several teachers painted their rooms in bold colors. One had used stencils (from Michael's?) over the base color, a couple had colorblocked, and I think one of the talented parents painted scenes on a wall in one of the rooms. Maybe Student Council or parent volunteers could help?

@Desert Lily 

Can you believe that we do not have a PTA/PTO? Cat Surprised

We do not have volunteers either.  We are just trying to get underpaid SUBS to come to school, and that is a daily challenge.  Sometimes we have only 50% of the jobs covered for that day, which means DCs do coverage and teachers routinely lose their planning time.

Honored Contributor

Having taught so many years and in different schools, I can’t say I ever worked in any school that was “ upscale”....can’t even imagine what that would be! I think you have done a great job trying to cheer up your surroundings. 

I understand about cutting the commute; it makes a huge difference and I cut mine down to ten minutes for the last 15 yrs of my career, which made it easier to stay late ( til 6 most days) without dreading a long drive hone

Only those who have taught could really relate to your situation. My first school I was put in the boiler room in the basement....in an ancient building....aka “historic” where water would come up through the floor tiles when it rained.....you are so smart to try and make your new spot much more brighter and that helps everyone! Hope your contract doesn’t last into the summer and you get some time away!

Honored Contributor

Great Job!!  You now made a dull, drab work area looking bright and fun.  Good for you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono   Thank you for your years of teaching.  My son taught elementary for 20 yrs and is now in administration.  It is a thankless job. 

You've done a great job w/your decorating.  I hope others appreciate it!

Trusted Contributor

Just lovely @lolakimono .  Very creative.

I can believe that about the PTA.  My school did have a PTA but there was always more staff than parents at the meetings.  It's very difficult.