Honored Contributor

My Rowenta Powerglide iron is leaking like crazy.

[ Edited ]

I rarely iron, two times a year tops.  So today I'm bored and figure I'd tackle that pile of spring tops waiting to be ironed.  Filled the iron with distilled water and it immediately started steaming water out the bottom, lots of it.  Tipping it on its heel produced brown water out the back end.  I always empty this thing before putting it away, but its home is in a high humidity laundry room. Obviously something is corroded and leaking.  Is there any fix or do I just deep six this thing?  This is the first time it has happened in several years.  I loved this iron but hate to spend the money to replace it if it will happen again 

Honored Contributor

Re: My Rowenta Powerglide iron is leaking like crazy.

Wish I could help you, but I've never had good luck with Rowenta irons.  I've been using my cheapie Black & Decker for a few years now.  

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Wish I could help you, but I've never had good luck with Rowenta irons.  I've been using my cheapie Black & Decker for a few years now.  

Same with me.

I had three Rowentas.  All started leaking eventually, makes me wonder what I was thinking to keep trying them.

I bought a cheap Black and Decker from Amazon as a backup iron when I was still nursing along the last Rowenta.

When that last Rowenta was impossible, I just used the B&Decker, thinking I'd try another higher end iron when I got around to it.  But that was 2 or 3 years ago, now, and this iron seems to be fine.

It doesn't leak at all.

Esteemed Contributor

I've loved my Rowenta -- it sounds like (and this probably isn't the answer) you don't have the dial set correctly on STEAM.  If the machine isn't told to make steam - it can't and the water just stays as water.  

Where it's stored isn't an issue as long as it's not left in a garage or other place where temps dip really low.  Freezing on parts is an issue with humidifiers - carpet shampooers, etc.  Store where it's warm.   Post back if you solve the problem.

Honored Contributor

My laundry room is deliberately not heated, then there's no problem if I leave a load of clothes in the washer overnight.  I'd say it is in the 50's since we keep the house cool at all times.  I limped through two shirts, sporadic steam on burst of steam on low, steams all the time if I move that slide up to max.  I've always ironed on burst of steam, reservoir lasts longer that way.   I'll pick up a cheapie iron locally, after checking library's Consumer Reports.  I give mine away, but I do remember they recommended some lower priced small appliances.  If I have to spend real money, I'll try another one of these Powerglides and really baby it.

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

If I recall Rowenta recommends not using distilled water just "tap" water.

I've had my Mercedes-Benz fashion week logo Rowenta style for many years purchased from Q.  

I iron everything!  I noticed if I don't allow the iron to heat up completely with settings on "steam" and full water reservoir, it will leak.  I also always steam clean-after use & empty all water.  Also, store upright.

As a matter of fact, my friend has another brand EuroPro (i think)and was having same problem.  Once she allowed the iron to completely heat up -- no leaking.

I love my Rowenta and would buy again!

Trusted Contributor

i hjave had two rewentas and i will not buy them again.  costco won't carry them either.  i went with a sunbeam and it works just great and wasabaout 1/2 the price of the rowenta

Honored Contributor

I used distilled water for the first time yesterday.  That is because the nurse who demonstrated DH's CPAP machine said every other type of water has something in it.  I used to use our "tap" water, which has been run through a Culligan system.  I will give this iron one more try, making sure it is good and hot first.  But the fact it was literally pouring brown out the back kind of makes me think its going to iron heaven.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I used distilled water for the first time yesterday.  That is because the nurse who demonstrated DH's CPAP machine said every other type of water has something in it.  I used to use our "tap" water, which has been run through a Culligan system.  I will give this iron one more try, making sure it is good and hot first.  But the fact it was literally pouring brown out the back kind of makes me think its going to iron heaven.  

@depglass   I would use it on something like a rag first since brown was coming out the back.  I'd be afraid it would come out on your clothes.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau