Respected Contributor

Last night I started hearing a little chirp sound every once in awhile.  I had the front door open and thought it was a bird at first.  Then I realized the sound was coming from the refrigerator.  I googled it and it said that sound can mean the fan or another part of the refrigerator has gone bad.  Today the few things I had in the freezer were defrosted and the items in the refrigerator part are not very cold.  So, tomorrow I'm going to Lowe's to look at what they have.  I just want a basic top freezer white refrigerator, no ice maker.  My GE died after 14 years so won't get another one of those.  Any recommendations for a basic refrigerator?  TIA

Honored Contributor

Give the old one a proper burial.  lol   Whirlpool, Kenmore evem Magtag.  It depends on what you want to spend.  

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that...what a pain. 14 years is a decent life span for a major appliance now days. They don't build them to last anymore. Hope you find one you like.

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry know it's a mess when that happens. Please don't get a Samsung unless you like alot of noise. Never had a LG but read bad reviews. We get all our appliances in Lowes I like Whirlpool and now have a GE which I like. I have the side by side with water & ice and a good hefty price around $1,000. If you are just looking at top freezer then you should be much cheaper. I only have 1 fridge with just 2 of us and we are fine. Only problem is Lowes took a few weeks to get it in stock happy that my fridge was still going strong until new one was delivered. Around 12-14yrs is about how long they last some don't even make it past 10yrs. Wish you luck.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't reject a brand that had a 14-year life span -  that's way over the average for many brands including very expensive models even.

I've had good luck in the past with Kenmore for basic appliances, but with Sears in trouble, we really don't know who might buy that line from Sears.

Honored Contributor

Stay far away from Samsung!!!  My fridge just turned 2 years old in August.

The first one had a bad compressor after 6 weeks  -- dealer/Samsung replaced.

Second (and same one I have) -- was so loud compressor/fan ran 24/7 sounded like I was in a turbine factory.  Samsung tech replaced celluiod and needed cover on back.

Now -- almost 7 months ago -- ice maker stopped working. My fridge & kitchen floor flooded due to "icing up"...

I've been fighting with Samsung to fix it! Nope only cover 1 year under warranty & my extended warranty does not include ice maker😖😖😖😖

Good luck in your search.  I'd donate or trash it if I hadn't spent $2,300 on this junk!  I should have bought the Maytag or Whirlpool I originally went to buy instead of salesman recommendation.

Trusted Contributor

Good luck to you. You are in a "quick need" spot, but do your research as best you can.

My fridge is slowly dying. It runs constantly and given that it is 27 years old, I am trying to buy a new one.

Unbelievably EXPENSIVE! I want the same as you. Just a regular fridge with a freezer on the top. Simple, right? Nope. It is so hard to find one that is just a simple fridge, and even "simple" is up around $800-$900!!!

I have been looking for a few months now, but I think my expectations are too high. I guess the days of long lasting appliances are gone. About 10 years is the max now.

There are fridges out there tht are $2500- $3000. !! Shocking to me. I never thought I would live in The Jetson's era but we sure are there. There are fridges that you can log into from the grocery store and actually look inside to see if you need ketchup (or whatever). I find that mindboggling!!

Anyway, I was just in Lowes yesterday, looking again at what I have already looked at, resigning myself to they just are not made like they used to be. BUT, the man helping me told me that there are going to be BIG sale prices the first 2 weeks of November.

Lowe's has to make their year end money on appliances before Thanksgiving, because once Black Friday hits, appliance sales plummet. No one really buys appliances during the holiday season, so Lowes (and maybe Home Depot?) run their year end sales early November.

I know you might not be able to wait that long but maybe they will give you an upcoming sale price early?

The man also told me (and he was an older man so he felt my pain that nothing last long anymore) told me that in the price range of $8-$900., GE actually makes the best for durability. In his opinion, Samsung and LG are the ones they have most customer complaints about.

No light in the freezer is what is annoying me. Manufacturers have taken the light out of the freezer! (Not the high priced fridges, the reasonable priced ones). Why take the light out of the freezer? It is almost a dealbreaker for me, but I am slowly accepting that I won't be able to buy a fridge if I stick to wanting a light in the freezer.

Measure your space before you go. I made that mistake. The size of fridges is not even the same anymore. Not the cubic feet, but the outer dimensions. EVERYTHING is so different now. Can tell I have not bought appliances in a very long time. I hate the new offerings.

Honored Contributor

@Catty2.  Have you considered having your fridge repaired?  If it was a fan, it doesn't sound too serious or expensive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: My Refrigerator Died

[ Edited ]

Our Kenmore fridge we bought from Sears when we got married in 2000 died last yr. We were very lucky they still make the same model now and after taxes it was about $430.

We spent a couple of weeks searching for a replacement thinking the newer types would be better...nope. We live in a small home so the dimensions were critical for the space in the kitchen. All the fancy side by side could not compare to our top freezer model in available space/sq ft in the freezer and fridge.

Some of the models we saw at various stores were useless IMO. When I opened many side by sides, the set ups for usage of space was wasted. I couldn't even visualize being able to keep even half the amount of food we kept in our model.

So new/different isn't always better.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

I don't know that it is just the fan.  That's just one of the things that came up when I goggled the chirping sound.  Rather than spend money on a repair at 14 years old, I will get a new one.