Respected Contributor

Googled painters in my area for a quote on painting a hallway with stairs and 10' ceiling.

First guy came yesterday, he's on Angie's List, wanted $800 plus I had to go to Sherwin Williams to buy all the paint.  Now that's a cash price, it would be another $100 if I paid him by check.

Second guy came, his company does a lot other things but he does have painters available.  His rate is $1 a square foot and any other repairs like skim coating would be extra.  He didn't bother to measure but "we'll figure out the cost when I'm done".   Sent him on his merry way.

Last guy, been in business for 24 years, came today and quoted me $300 which includes the cost of paint, the color is going to be very light so he said you can save a lot of labor if I could paint the ceiling the same colors as the walls.  I thought that was a deal had him sign for the deposit I gave him.  No Angie's list, no BBB, just a local man who has a business and has been in business for a long time.  Now that the kind of guys I need to find for everything I need. 

I was set on the first guy, Angies list, nice website, local etc.  After I got that price, I thought, I'm not going to run around to get him paint and he wouldn't commit to a date and time.  Thank goodness, somebody was watching over me and telling me, don't hire him.

I don't mind painting, but a landing and a tall flight of stairs with 10' celing, no thank you, let someone else do that.  I like my feet on the ground.

Esteemed Contributor

You made the right choice..............btw, I totally dislike Angies List!  

Respected Contributor

As I've said before, when I'm walking the dogs and see someone working on a house, I always approach and ask for a card.  Then I watch and see what kind of job they do.  I got my siding on my house that way, a tree cut down, and a front deck put on doing exactly that - and I have had the best luck!  I've read Angie's List reviews - they aren't so great.  Was going to have some repairs done on my roof - they had a $99 special.  Looked at reviews - the guy never shows up! 

Respected Contributor

I also had a 850 sq foot home in San Diego.  I wanted to get it painted on the outside.  People quoted me as high as $6,000.  I found a man in the neighborhood that lived in a neighbor's garage.  I saw his truck parked outside and asked him to come give me a quote.  He did it for $2,000 and did a fabulous job.  He just asked if he could bring his dog everyday and work the hours he wanted to work.  I told him I was in no hurry at all and that I love dogs - took him a few weeks to get it painted, but once he was done - I got a lot of compliments on the paint job. 

Respected Contributor

Re: My Painting Story

[ Edited ]

I have to admit I thought the first price of $800 + paint was a BARGAIN!! I would have paid that in a heartbeat (assuming he had a business license and insurance)

The low ball price would make me very nervous.

Please make sure he has a business license and insurance - and CONFIRM that they are his and current by calling!

A great new scam is to offer low ball prices- get in to a home or business and have "an accident".  My mother's neighbor learned this first hand.  Their homeowners insurance said "not it!" when they learned the worker was not licensed and insured.  It is the homeowners responsibility to do their homework.  Insurance co and tired of paying these scam artists off.

I am so sick of these people who want to scam honest people, losers!!

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I have to admit I thought the first price of $800 + paint was a BARGAIN!! I would have paid that in a heartbeat (assuming he had a business license and insurance)

The low ball price would make me very nervous.

Please make sure he has a business license and insurance - and CONFIRM that they are his and current by calling!

A great new scam is to offer low ball prices- get in to a home or business and have "an accident".  My mother's neighbor learned this first hand.  Their homeowners insurance said "not it!" when they learned the worker was not licensed and insured.  It is the homeowners responsibility to do their homework.  Insurance co and tired of paying these scam artists off.

I am so sick of these people who want to scam honest people, losers!!

I just called and left him a message, he's been in business for 24 years so he must be doing something right but I will check to make sure.

Esteemed Contributor

Hiring anyone to do work in your home is tricky.  I have had good luck with Home Advisor and also Nextdoor.com.  We also have a rider on our insurance policy for any accident that a contractor has in our home.  I also make sure that they are licensed and insured, but I know that sometimes those things are not renewed when supposed to be, so I take very precaution that I can. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Painting Story

[ Edited ]

I am glad you found some your confident in. My dad is painting right now. We have a little painting to finish before the house goes up for sale in about a week and a half. It's hard to find a general contractor who you trust. We connected years ago with a guy at a home show. My parents needed their bathroom redone. He has done multiple things since. He is even what my parents would consider a friend. This past week he came to help and he just jumped right in and offered to help with things my dad didn't even ask.  He always does a great job. 

Honored Contributor

Now you can wait with bated breath to see if he shows up... sober.   There is such a thing as an estimate being too cheap. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Why would it be cheaper to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls?  I would rethink that.  I wouldn't want the ceiling the same color as the walls in my house.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau