Esteemed Contributor

Well, I like him.  My passion is Early American art in all forms.  Lots of people don’t realize true folk art is not meant to be “perfect,” like commercially produced art.  I took painting lessons for years, but to replicate a very old painting, you can’t do too much shading, for example.  Many itinerant artists did not do this.  I might add that genuine old folk art pieces - as imperfect as they are - are quite valuable.

I am happy that you are so pleased with your Santa.  He is an original and all yours.  

Super Contributor

@ECBG Your new Santa has brought the spirit of Christmas to you in March! So happy for you! Enjoy him for years to come!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@aroc3435 Your post reminded me of making apple head dolls in art class in grade school. So much fun! Thanks for that nice memory!

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@ECBG    Beautiful hand crafting.  I don't see him as scary, but rather as unique.  The face reminds me of how an apple head doll looks.

@aroc3435@ECBG My first thought was an apple head doll.  He is very unique and unusual.  Quite a nice piece of artwork. 

Honored Contributor

I love primitive and folk art pieces like this. I think his face is wonderfully interesting. 

I'm not much a fan of the modern Santa. I like mine from the 1950's back to Father Christmas type styles. 

Great piece! 

@ECBG 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I love primitive and folk art pieces like this. I think his face is wonderfully interesting. 

I'm not much a fan of the modern Santa. I like mine from the 1950's back to Father Christmas type styles. 

Great piece! 

@ECBG 

@Mominohio I would LOVE to see them!!!!!Smiley Happy

Did you see my others in the "Here's My Country Christmas" thread?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Great piece! 

@ECBG 

@Mominohio I would LOVE to see them!!!!!Smiley Happy

Did you see my others in the "Here's My Country Christmas" thread?Smiley Happy

@ECBG 

No, I didn't see them! I'll have to take a look! Was it posted in Home or in Holiday?

Honored Contributor

Holiday.  In the search block you don't have to note the area, just the title or main words.

Honored Contributor

I think it's the eyes, they just look so inset and a little crumbly, like he has a bad eye infection. 

The rosey pudgey cheeks are very Santa like.

I looked on the website and saw all the bunnies.  

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 

I agree with you.  It is well crafted & unique.  The chubby cheeks are cute.