Honored Contributor

Re: Moving Existing Pieces Around

This last house is way too small to move things around, but I never did even when I lived in a 4100 sq. ft. house.

A big switcheroo for me is turning 3 armed dining chairs around to face the living room.  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Not unless I acquire or remove large pieces like furniture.

I took delivery of a new piece  I ordered from Amish Dude. He called it a sofa table but it has drawers so I put the living room tv and dvd player on it. Drawers now hold dvd's, board games, playing cards and warm throws, away and out of sight.

Now what to do with my original sofa table? Thinking of maybe the dining room to use as a server?  In the hallway it would be a catchall for clutter. 😐

Honored Contributor

For many years it seemed I was often rearranging furnishings, art and accessories, changing out curtains and moving things from room to room. While I still do it occasionally, let's face it, I have more physical limitations than I used to. Had I the ability, I'd still like to move things around more than I do these days.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If you're talking about simply rearranging the furniture, the answer is generally no.  I feel there is one way the furniture looks best, and I want to keep it the way it looks best.

If you're talking about moving smaller items around, and changing throws and pillows, pulling out new decorative items, etc.; the answer is yes.  It keeps things interesting.

Honored Contributor

I grew up with a mom who moved the furniture and home decor all the time. We'd go to bed at night, and get up the next morning and the furniture would be all rearranged! lol

I would love to do more of that, and I do it with some of my smaller pieces, but my rooms are such that there really isn't the space or ability to change things up too much. 

The bedrooms only really 'fit' and look right done the one way I keep them. 

The family room focuses around the tv, and it is tethered to one spot where the cables all come in, so there is a lot there that can't be moved. 

The dining room is very locked in as it is small, and only one wall will accommodate the hutch.

I change the living room around the most, even the bigger pieces sometimes. I have hit on a 'look' that I like and have left things the same there for a couple of years now. 

Was just considering the other day, a new way to move things around in the living room, and it would now most likely require the elimination of the coffee table. Still grappling with if I want to do that or not!

But in general, I love to rearrange furniture and especially home decor items. It can give a home a fresh new feeling for no money and very little work, relative to paint/flooring etc change.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Not unless I acquire or remove large pieces like furniture.

I took delivery of a new piece  I ordered from Amish Dude. He called it a sofa table but it has drawers so I put the living room tv and dvd player on it. Drawers now hold dvd's, board games, playing cards and warm throws, away and out of sight.

Now what to do with my original sofa table? Thinking of maybe the dining room to use as a server?  In the hallway it would be a catchall for clutter. 😐

@Snowpuppy 

I totally understand.

Getting new furniture is definitely an opportunity, and sometimes a challenge, to figure out where to put items and how to arrange them. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

@Foxxee 

@itsmagic 

@faeriemoon 

@spiderw 

I totally understand your comments about walls, windows, and other limitations on moving furniture. I agree certain items fit and look best in certain rooms and in certain spaces.

I tend to move around smaller furnishings like tables, shelves, chairs, and accessories in my current home.

My teen bedroom was a long narrow room with one window at the end wall so there was enough space to really move things around to get a different look. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I grew up with a mom who moved the furniture and home decor all the time. We'd go to bed at night, and get up the next morning and the furniture would be all rearranged! lol

@Mominohio 

I bet that made for some interesting mornings! 

Trusted Contributor

It's amazing what rearranging things can do to make a room look completely different.

There used to be a show on HGTV called "FreeStyle" where all they did was rearrange what people already had to make their rooms look better.  I really enjoyed that show.  Also, sometimes the show "Decorating Cents" had a short segment where they just rearranged furniture and decor.  Really could make a big improvement by doing that.