Honored Contributor

Moving Existing Pieces Around

[ Edited ]

Have you ever moved existing pieces around in your home to experiment with new looks? 

I started doing this as a teen. I shared a room with 2 older sisters, and when they both moved out, my parents removed one of the beds and gave it to another family. I had the room to myself so I would rearrange the 2 remaining twin beds, dressers, desk, etc. I did this several times over the course of my teen and young adult years until I moved out. I liked changing up the furnishings to get a different look. 

In our current home I've also changed things up a bit. I've moved artwork, accessories, & furniture to different rooms. 

I have a rocking chair that has been in 3 different rooms. It started in our sunroom, then it was in the living room, and now it's in the finished basement. 

Most recently I moved a cedar chest from a spare bedroom we use as a reading and music room to the finished basement, and brought up a shelf from the basement to put in its place. I wanted all our books in one room and moving a shelf upstairs accomplished that. 

I also moved artwork from one bedroom to the bathroom when I changed the color of the shower curtain and towels. Just got lucky that the artwork goes so well with the new bathroom colors.

I moved the large metal artwork from the bathroom to our bedroom. I like the look of it on the wall above our metal headboard. 

The floral artwork that was hanging on the wall over our bed is now hanging over the dresser in the guest bedroom. It's definitely a better size than the small print that was there. 

Anyone else moving things around? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Moving Existing Pieces Around

@wilma - Yes - I'm always moving things around and it drives my dear boyfriend crazy!!  

I love to change things up and switch out artwork, small tables, and other accessories like ottomans and tabletop decor to make the room look new.  It's fun and doesn't cost anything!

Respected Contributor

I used to rearrange furniture in former homes to give it a different look but in our current home the only thing I can rearrange in my living room are the pictures 😁.   The placement of the windows, fireplace, half wall, open wall, room size - all leave basically one placement option for our furniture.  I could change up the bedroom furniture but it’s too heavy and not worth doing.  I don’t have that many accessories to move from room to room so I’m limited to artwork. 

Honored Contributor

I want to rearrange  but having only two solid walls in my dining and living rooms, I am not able to. The other walls have windows and I'm not going to put a breakfront and entertainment center in front of windows. However, I do try to organize and change the things I can which mainly consist of decor and artwork!!  

Esteemed Contributor

I certainly have . When it initially furnished my home , I did think abt buying pieces that could be interchanged from room to room , however a few of my upholstered pieces  in my eat in kitchen  are a little more challenging  as the seating area matches the  window fabric Roman blinds.

Honored Contributor

No.  I've given it a lot of thought trying out different placements.  Decided on what I think is the correct and most functional placement for my large pieces of furniture.  Any other placement would be awkward. 

If I get the itch to move it, I remind myself I have been through this before and no other placement looked right.  

As a collector, I have been adding pieces of furniture and accessories over the years.  I knew exactly where I'd put them...enough room...so I didn't need to move anything.  I suppose adding pieces can change the look of the room without changing everything.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, quite often. Not just rearranging a room, but moving things into different rooms. Sometimes I find that I can completely repurpose items - the end tables my parents got as a wedding present have been refinished and work perfectly as our nightstands.

Respected Contributor

@wilma I'm exhausted just reading your post. 

When I was living with my parents, my mom would forever move furniture around to different rooms.  One night she moved my bedroom furniture to theirs and theirs to mine.  Imagine how scared I was getting into the same bed as my dad.  Never moved so quickly.

Honored Contributor

It's a hobby, @wilma !   I can't move everything, b/c of certain logistics, but for example:   I love to switch the positions of my long couch and love seat, usually once a season.  I have an extra coffee table in the attic, and sometimes switch those tables out.

Goes without saying, that pillows and throws are changed out, for variety or for seasonal change.

Most of my art work has to stay where it is, but I have a few pieces that I lean on top of desks or tables that are against walls, and those are really fun to change out, and get a whole new perspective.  I love a mix of "leaning" and conventionally hanging art and mirrors--  just makes things more interesting and improvisational...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@wilma   Yes...I rearrange often.  I like to mix things up and find another use for things that I have....after I married my husband had to get used to figuring out where I put things...