Esteemed Contributor

Re: More cottage than coastal. Mark Sikes design

The wallpaper is awful.  I like looking at open shelving, but couldn't live with it.  I also like a window over my sink.  Overall, it is cute, but not for me.

Honored Contributor

Sikes always has such a feeling for color--  I love the tranquillity of that soft blue....

Honored Contributor

I like Sikes' work, overall, and I find this a pretty space. So much so that I believe I posted it once myself a while back... Woman Very Happy Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I would not have the wallpaper or Range Hood..the rest is very cute for a vacation home.

Honored Contributor

I like the blue but don't like the wallpaper or cafe curtains (is that what they're called?--not sure).

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

That blue just makes me blue.

Can you even open up that corner cabinet?

Respected Contributor

It's nice.  I would put some white to break up some of all that blue within the kitchen.  Don't like the wallpaper.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know Sikes from, what now seems, long ago.  He decorated a home of a person who is very well known (at my recommendation, who might be famous or infamous, depending on your view) several years ago before I moved here.  Sikes attended school with a brother.  

He did a great job of the home.  It was featured on HGTV back when HGTV was worth watching, but that was, perhaps, decades ago.

My sister asked him about decorating one of her houses. Oh, dear, oil and water.  She has a degree in interior design from a school of architecture in Illinois.  She is very opinionated as is he but I guess that is what makes them both good at their trade.

Respected Contributor

You are right @Nonametoday  It is Cottage style. The only coastal thing I see are the sea shell fabric on the stools.  Too much of the same color blue. It needs to be broken up. Maybe paint the shelving white, not a fan of the stove vent hood. Get rid of that, put in a plain stainless one. Wallpaper is fine, I would leave it as is. At least it isn't the blue.

Honored Contributor

I agree with many of the statements.

I do love the shade of blue and I would never put an oven or microwave so low you have to bend down pick up something hot.