Super Contributor

Re: Mom was right about the sheets.

My mom IRONED sheets!! Our house and closets were so neat and perfectly organized growing up that I used to say it was like living in a museum.

My mom has been gone since 2007, and while I do NOT iron our sheets, I now appreciate how she kept our house. Everything in our house is now museum-like, too, lol.

She was really, really picky about sheets, too. They had to be 95% cotton and 5% poly. They washed well. She tended to have very expensive taste in just about everything but to her, JC Penney had the perfect sheets. Smiley Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

After you teach your hubby the duvet thing, will you teach me?  Honestly, it's embarrassing how I can't do that.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I store my sheets in two long rolling bins under my bed. The first bin has neatly folded then rolled top sheets and pillowcases, and the second bin has neatly-rolled fitted bottom sheets.  Since everything is rolled when I open the bin, I can see all my sheets at one glance. I pull from the front and load from the back so that I rotate them.  Simple.

Esteemed Contributor

One set of sheets, wash and wear!  No folding needed.

Honored Contributor

Fitted sheets upset me. But for a different reason. It seems everytime we buy a new mattress, it is thicker than the mattress before. 

I have donated at least 12 sets of sheets in the past year. The fitted sheet pops off the mattress. Even though the package says it will fit up to 15". Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon

Thank you!  Finally a tutorial I can follow!!!

@chrystaltree

I think you tagged the wrong poster.  I no longer have a comforter and duvet because I was no better at that than I am at folding fitted sheets.

@Mary Bailey

We've been on the "one set of sheets plan" for years. It worked great until last year when I bought an Isaac Mizrahi comforter set from BB&B.  I didn't realize that the sheets were included.  

As it turned out, the comforter was absolutely awful. It was so huge and bouncy, made of a terrible artificial fabric.  It took two of us to smush it back into the plastic zip bag so we could donate it and we couldn't do that fast enough.  I should have returned it, but I figured someone would be happy to get it.

Anyway, I kept the sheets and last week was tempted to unwrap them and use them. I should have donated them with the comforter.  I actually had to IRON THEM today - they were such a terrible mess when I took them from the dryer.  I think they'll be in the next donation I make and that will solve the problem.

BTW, I have a few Isaac clothing items, which I like a lot, but I won't be buying any more of his bedding.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  bow to you. LOL!! I'd never iron sheets.

I I dry the bottom sheet, put that on. Then dry the top sheet, then dry the pillow cases. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have over a dozen sets of sheets in too many colors to list.  I can't imagine having just one set.  I watched the Laura Duffet video on folding fitted sheets.  I do a pretty good job with it now but still looks somewhat like a blob no matter what.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@house_cat.  Fold the fitted sheet as best you can.  There are tutorials on YouTube to demonstrate.  Then take both sheets and one pillowcase and put everything into the other pillowcase.  Everything is then in one neat, tidy package ready for the next use.

I have watched so many tutorials - starting with a lesson from Martha Stewart on one of her shows years ago.  I've failed miserably. I simply cannot do it.  It might be in part to the fact that I'm 5'0" on my tippy toes and my sheets are Cal King.

@house_cat... I am laughing so hard at all of you ladies who roll the fitted sheet in a ball !!! Oh my gosh!! ...however; in your case @house_cat I can see how folding a Cal King would be very difficult at 5'0"!! My Mom taught my sister and me how to fold fitted sheets years and years ago so I'm pretty much a pro at it. I'm 4'11" and my bed is Queen...much smaller than your Cal King!! I'm trying to teach my best friend how to fold her full size fitted but she just can't do it either. You need to have someone in person show you how to fold them. My arms aren't very long at all so I have to fold my queen fitted sheets in "parts" but it still works. I'm just used to it. @Kachina624 gave you an excellent idea about putting both sheets and one pillowcase in the other pillow case and store.  

Just had to tell you how you made me laugh out loud AND ALL THE OTHER LADIES how they fold them, throw in linen closet and close the door fast!! Oh. My. Gosh. Too, too funny!!! I REALLY needed this laugh!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

My mom IRONED sheets!! Our house and closets were so neat and perfectly organized growing up that I used to say it was like living in a museum.

My mom has been gone since 2007, and while I do NOT iron our sheets, I now appreciate how she kept our house. Everything in our house is now museum-like, too, lol.

She was really, really picky about sheets, too. They had to be 95% cotton and 5% poly. They washed well. She tended to have very expensive taste in just about everything but to her, JC Penney had the perfect sheets. Smiley Very Happy 

@AussieLuvr... That's quite a Mom you had !! My Mom had OCD so everything was perfect, too. She taught my sister and me how to fold fitted sheets AND she taught us how to buy sheets. They had to include "percale"... called cotton percale so that's what I still buy. That may have been the only kind of sheets back then. She never ironed hers because of the "magic" percale but my Mom may have been older. I'm 70 now and she would have been in her 90's passing at 88. 

I now have cotton/percale (which you have to search for but I believe I bought one set Walmart! and another set at Evine. Evine has great sheets that do not need ironing! I cannot use 100% cotton!! I will not iron sheets!) Have a couple sets of the Malden Mills polarfleece sheet sets from the Q for winter only. Sooo cozy although I laugh out loud when they say on the Q that you can use those "all year round". Um... Noooo!! Too hot in summer. They wash up nice (no fabric softener) but are very "fussy" to dry...NO heat!! Easy for me owning a washer and dryer but difficult to dry for someone like my sister who lives in an apartment building and the dryers do NOT have "air dry/no heat" on them! I also have a couple sets of microfiber sheets. One pair I bought in Steinmart. Love them! Oh! One set of cotton/percale I bought at Evine. They have very nice sheets. My Mom used to wash 5 sets of sheets every week! How did she do it all as a SAH Mom? Amazing!!! My Mom probably bought hers at Sears. Everything was Sears back then using that nice big Sears catalog!! Memories....