Honored Contributor

Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face

http://people.com/human-ihttp://people.com/human-interest/texas-mom-says-fire-ball-from-a-bath-body-...

I just wanted to post this because I know many here may be Bath and Body Works candle fans like I am. I feel sorry for this woman and hope she makes a full recovery.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face

Unfortunately for her when a flame is that high,  blowing on it will cause that backfire. She just needed to take the lid and place it on top to extinguish the flame. She probably did not trim the wick or get the black soot off. I never blow out a candle. I do what Harry Slatkin says to just use the cover and it will go out by itself with no oxygen to keep it burning. 

I watched the video but wish we could have seen the actual candle instead of the large flame. 

Honored Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

Unfortunately for her when a flame is that high,  blowing on it will cause that backfire. She just needed to take the lid and place it on top to extinguish the flame. She probably did not trim the wick or get the black soot off. I never blow out a candle. I do what Harry Slatkin says to just use the cover and it will go out by itself with no oxygen to keep it burning. 

I watched the video but wish we could have seen the actual candle instead of the large flame. 

I do the same. Never ever blow out your candles..I also keep my wicks trimmed down, and if you have a high flame after doing tht, then maybe it is a faulty candle....How horrible though! I hope she makes a full recovery as well.......I remember hearing Harry Slatkin saying to never ever blow them out, and I have been using the lid method for years now. 

Honored Contributor

She should have put the lid on it to put it out. Looks like she did not keep the wick trimmed & burning too long for the flame to do that. I stopped using air fresheners, candles etc. Who knows what all you are breathing from them. Not to mention soot on your walls in AC system.

Honored Contributor

I blow them out sometimes but won't after seeing this. It does appear that she didn't trim the wick and the candle flame got way too high, or as @CANDLEQUEEN said, the candle may have been faulty.

Respected Contributor

That video was terrifying!  I think they probably let the candle burn way too long.  I've moved away from candles and now mostly do wax melts.  I feel a lot safer!

Honored Contributor

I like candles and am getting a free one from Bath & Body Works for ordering a certain amount of shower gel.  I have a new kitten, though, so I think I'm going to have to give my candles away.  I always keep the wicks trimmed and have never had a problem.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I burn candles constantly, BBW and lots of other brands.  I use the lid to extinguish the flame.  But, who knows, it may be a freak thing and could happen to anyone and any brand of candle.  I am so sorry for her  regardless of why it happened.  Hopefully, she won't be scarred.

Regular Contributor

Yikes, i have to admit, i have left a candle burning upstairs when i am downstairs. Never again after watching this. I buy their 3 wicks all the time.I will probably buy more of their little candles from now on (the little votive sized ones).

Trusted Contributor

I'm always burning candles.  She clearly didn't trim her wicks and should have used the lid to extinguish it.  It's a shame that the company will end up paying for her own stupidity.