Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎02-06-2012

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face

Should we trim the wicks prior to the1st burning or only after the initial lighting?  I'm always confused by this. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,693
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face

I agree with everyone here....I follow Harry's instructions and use the lid.  I always check the wicks too, and I think she let the candle burn too long, ..... perhaps more than the 3 hours she said.........She said she was drying her hair and I wonder if her hair was hanging forward and caught fire from the flames........  

 

I do wish her a full recovery and that she heals completely with no scaring......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 513
Registered: ‎07-12-2010

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face


@BlueLu wrote:

Should we trim the wicks prior to the1st burning or only after the initial lighting?  I'm always confused by this. 


I always make sure the wicks are only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch long before and after a burn.  They burn more cleanly with shorter wicks, in my personal experience.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 479
Registered: ‎12-01-2010

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face

Horrible that it happened. But from little that i could see, she left the candle burning way too long!! 3-4 hours only. Never leave unattended and please always trim the wicks. I think perhaps at this point, judging from what i saw, even the lid wouldn't haven't helped. I am thinking one of those "snuff out"  things that have a handle. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,693
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face


@ILUVChristmas wrote:

Horrible that it happened. But from little that i could see, she left the candle burning way too long!! 3-4 hours only. Never leave unattended and please always trim the wicks. I think perhaps at this point, judging from what i saw, even the lid wouldn't haven't helped. I am thinking one of those "snuff out"  things that have a handle. 


@ILUVChristmas

 

Your absolutely right! 

 

I have a BBW candle right here and it says on the bottom---WARNING do not burn candle more than 3-4 hours and trim wick to 1/4 inch before each re-lighting.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,031
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Re: Mom says fire ball from Bath and Body Works candle severely burned her face


@Nicknack wrote:

I like candles and am getting a free one from Bath & Body Works for ordering a certain amount of shower gel.  I have a new kitten, though, so I think I'm going to have to give my candles away.  I always keep the wicks trimmed and have never had a problem.


I haven't burned a candle in my home since I got my two kitties in '09. They are too curious and I surely wouldn't want them to get hurt. I just use flameless candles.

"Pure Michigan"