Esteemed Contributor

This reminds me of the clothing style rule. If you’re old enough to remember the first time this style was popular, you should not follow it again. Having grown up in mid-century, I have no desire to bring it back to my home.

Respected Contributor

i like it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Mid Century Modern

[ Edited ]

None of these rooms speak to me in any way that bears repeating... Woman Surprised

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Not my taste, but I would take the plant.  I have a couple of those and trying to figure out how to make them look like a tree instead of a stick with leaves. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Grew up in mid-century modern home wih blue, contemporary sofa with kidney-shaped glass tables. Widowed dad raised us and he had a no-nonsense engineering mind; perfect personality for minimal mid-century. He later married a lady who loved Victorian style. She had a fountain with ornate carvings in their entryway. Dad told me he was living in a *&^%$# musuem. Your photo made me think about my dad. Mid-century is not exactly my style, but I don't hate it.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Mid century modern is very cold to me. We have one that is a rental and people usually love it. Not me. The floors and walls....everything seems so sterile to me. 

Honored Contributor

Mid Century Modern has never appealed to me.  The name of the style is cooler than the style itself.

Valued Contributor

Not on board with the pink and 2-tone blue in first photo, but think that the round coffee table is in perfect opposition to all the other straight lines in the room. The sofa I would def. like if it were all one color, that being the darker blue. 

All my living room furniture is teak or walnut and came from either Copenhagen Interiors or is some cheaper facsimile I found in a catalog (pre-internet shopping thing). Below are my favorite 1960 chairs, considered Danish modern. I have 2, with orange wool cushions, but they are currently used as dog chairs with blankets and a dog bed in each. Some day the cushions will be re-covered and the dogs will be relocated.

Image result for danish modern chair 

Honored Contributor

The first photo is not what I would call classic mid-century, but a conception of it that is a bit disjointed.  Like any style, it can be rendered and interpreted with different levels of success.

"Pure" mid-century modern is not my favorite, but it is surprisingly interesting to integrate elements of it into other styles, much like elements of Art Deco can enliven an otherwise non-Deco space.

One of the best books on mid-century modern came out long after the style had peaked, in the mid Eighties.   Wonderful photos and both tame and "far-out" interiors in "Mid-Century Modern-- Furniture of the 1950's" by Cara Greenberg.

Esteemed Contributor

I like it a lot except I'd change out the sofa (or maybe just a different color).  I LOVE the chairs but would have to have them in a different color.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown