Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever used an aluminum product to repair the eaves or soffit of your home?  Supposedly it never needs painting. How about vinyl siding to replace Masonite siding?

My husband and I interviewed a contractor who wants to use these two products to repair an area that has some wood decay. We are unsure how the product looks and how it stands the test of time.

Honored Contributor

I would like to have aluminum soffit on my house but not vinyl siding. Vinyl in my area at high altitude is exposed to a lot of sun and dry air which will eventually cause it to crack and warp. I prefer stucco or brick siding.

Respected Contributor

Used both over T1-11 & it's great, no more getting on ladders every year to repair rot & apply solid stain....it was expensive doing the whole house but worth every penny. Best Wishes with your project @On It.

Honored Contributor

The contractor knows what he's doing; his recommendations are spot on for the job you need done.   The aluminum will be in whatever color you choose; will be cut for a precise fit and nailed in place.   

Our 40 year old home is brick with vinyl trim.   Our garage was built many years later, and covered in the same color vinyl siding.  The older siding was showing a lot of wear, so we replaced all of the siding and trim in 2020.

Aluminum trim was used on our house initially, and still looked fine when it was replaced.   

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee @kitcat51 @RedTop Thank you for your responses. You made our decision much easier and much less worrisome. My husband and I are feeling much more confident in moving forward with our repairs.

Esteemed Contributor

We sided our home about 30 years ago. In Nebraska, the weather varies from below zero in winter to above 100 in the summer. The siding has not faded, cracked, buckled or had any problems. Yes, it was expensive. However it increased the value of this home (immediately) by improving the overall appearance of the exterior. We also replaced all windows and the roof at the same time.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

We had our garage trim and front door trim done this summer...I am not sure what the product was...but it was a nice product.  

DH says he thinks it was either alulminum or vinyl.  It's nice we will never have to paint that trim again.

Honored Contributor

@On It - When we built our current home 21 years ago, we had all aluminum soffits and trim.  Has never needed painting, doesn't need any maintenance and still looks exactly the same as it did, when installed.

Our home also has vinyl siding.  We've had to replace small strips of it, where winter ice damaged it, but that's a quick fix.  No need to have it all replaced.

We recently had a couple of exterior doors replaced and our carpenter used all composite for the framework - will never rot and can be painted any color you want.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Our 20 year old home is brick with aluminum soffits.  Looks like the day it was put on.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras