Honored Contributor

We are considering buying a Tempur-pedic mattress in the next couple of weeks.

I am wondering if there are mattress protectors better suited for this type of mattress, meaning one that won't compress the mattress, nor be too loose and sloppy. Anyone have any ideas of what kind or where they can be purchased?

Thanks for any advice.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: Mattress protector question

Did you know Temperpedic makes protector covers for their mattresses?  I got one for mine. It's the 'cooling' cover I got. They make a regular one, too. @Snicks1 

Super Contributor

I have a friend who just bought that brand and they make a special mattress cover for their beds.  I'd ask at the store about them.  She indicated it was rather costly, but has something to do with the warranty as well.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee @IdahoGram 

Thank you both. I will definitely inquire at the store when we go in to make the purchase.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 

Good luck with your mattress shopping!  We just bought a new one about a month ago.

Tips:

go during the week when the store is not busy so you can lay on each mattress for a while and get a feel for it.

Bring your own pillow (with plenty of extra covers on it) or bring your own pillowcase and use their pillows.  

After trying out mattresses with pillows and all we realized the Tempurpedic was NOT the mattress for use.  I really bothered my DH shoulder.  When you are spending $$$ you want to be sure!!

Trusted Contributor

We also have a tempurpedic mattress with their mattress cover.  It works great.  It's not super tight but it fits the mattress well. 

Respected Contributor

I would always use a mattress protector; as someone else mentioned, when you're spending beaucoup bucks for a mattress, you want it to last as long as possible.

I learned this when I was pregnant with my son. About 4 weeks before my due date, and as per a suggestion from our childbirth coach, we put a special protector on our mattress and I kvetched about it because it made me feel like I was sleeping on a sandwhich bag.

At 3-1/2 weeks before my due date, my water broke at 1:30 am.

That protector saved a brand new mattress from destruction. I've never been without one since.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

go during the week when the store is not busy so you can lay on each mattress for a while and get a feel for it.

Bring your own pillow (with plenty of extra covers on it) or bring your own pillowcase and use their pillows.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last time we shopped for a new mattress, we were in a department store and the mattresses on display were filthy. I couldn't bring myself to lay down on any of them and I mentioned it to the manager; he just kind of shrugged.

These days if I need a new mattress I'll go to a business that sells mattresses and bedding only; that's what they specialize in and they're more careful about how they show their merchandise.