Trusted Contributor

This one has springs in the middle, it is not totally foam right?

There are so many mattresses in a box out there now and everyone seems to love them but they are really expensive! The Purple mattress is $1000. for a full size.

I need a twin, and $299.00 is a deal. A mattress at Sam's for a twin is $398. and you have to figure out how to get it home as it is not a boxed mattress.

Laying on a mattress in a store is not any more telling. You can't tell if you like a mattress until it is on your own bed. The TSV looks like a firm mattress just judging by the model laying on it.

Returning to a store is just as much, if not more, hassle. With the shopping channels they send UPS to pick it up. I bought a mattress in a box from HSN probably 8 or 9 years ago, but it was only 8 inches and all foam. I like that this is 11".

One thing about mattresses nowadays is they almost all have a topper side so flipping is no longer needed (like in the olden days). That is where I read the most reviews of people unhappy (any brand).

It seems the topper part can end up making a indent on the spot you sleep on, and if there are two people, there can be two indents and it puffs up in the middle. It seems though that "non-flip" mattress is the way they are made now.  I remember the flipping it over regularly, then flipping top to bottom, and seems it would last longer. Nothing is made the way they used to be made anymore/

Respected Contributor

We have purchased three mattresses in a box. All have been fine, the oldest is 15 years old. Still firm, no sagging or bad spots......we love them.

Honored Contributor

@barb40  I have never purchased a Northern Nights mattress, or any mattress from QVC so I cannot comment directly to that question.

Until a couple of years ago, we always purchased our mattress sets from a furniture or bedding store.  Back then, beds in boxes weren't even a thing.  The last mattress we purchased from an actual B & M store turned out to be a big, expensive mistake.  We hated the mattress from the beginning, should have returned it but didn't.  After that we threw good money after bad, trying to make it work with a topper.  It helped but we still weren't completely happy.  When we decided to move from a queen to a king I started doing lots of online research/comparison shopping, we went to bedding stores to see/feel an assortment of mattresses - sleep number, memory foam, hybrid, etc. then back to more online research.  We ended up purchasing a hybrid mattress in a box, from Wayfair - the Classic Brands 14" Medium Hybrid (currently rated at 4.5 stars from over 3K reviews).  It's comfy yet supportive, does not sleep hot at all, and didn't have any noticeable off-gassing odors.  One person can roll over or get in and out of bed and it doesn't disturb the other person.  Wayfair ships fast, the mattress was here in just a couple of days.  It was heavy and the box is cumbersome so you need two people to get it in the house and move it to your bedroom, if you're getting a larger size mattress.  We allowed it to expand for two days before sleeping on it (recommended).  I can't tell you how much we love our mattress.  Even now, after owning it about 2.5 yrs. we still say "ahh, I love this bed" when we get in at night. I had some surgery this past December and couldn't lay down for six weeks.  I had to sleep in our recliner.  I was so happy when I was able to return to our bed. Since buying our mattress, two other family members now have the same one and enjoy it just as much.  We plan on getting another one for our guest room, too.  

Some things you may not be aware of when buying a "bed in a box"....

* You are only purchasing a mattress. 
* If you prefer a traditional bed frame and box spring set up, you will need to purchase a box spring or reuse one you currently have, if the size is the same. 
* Your other option (what we did) is to eliminate the box spring altogether and use a platform/smart base rather than your traditional bed frame. 
* Smart bases are higher off the ground so when you put your mattress on it, the top of the mattress is still at a normal height.  The nice thing about the metal smart bases, too, is that you have about 14" or so of space underneath where you can store things. 
* If you want to use a headboard, it's possible to attach it to a metal platform, but you will need some brackets that are made for that purpose.  They have them on Amazon, around $10.

Good luck on your decision.

Honored Contributor

I will be interested in the reviews of this bed--I bought one from the Helix CO out of NY City almost 3 years ago and LOVE it. Paid about 1/2 more for the full size but it was custom made per my instructions. Was conmfy and supportive right from night one. Hardest part was for me, myself, to drag it upstairs--had someone help me. 

Honored Contributor

I hemmed and hawed (that looks weird in type) .... trying to decide about a new mattress.  I finally bought one from QVC (this was a few years ago).  It lasted maybe 3 weeks and the sides of the mattress broke down.  I called QVC and they exchanged the mattress....same thing happened eventually.

So, I looked and looked (into a sleep number bed).  I knew a lot of people who had one and they all loved theirs...but still...I just couldn't decide (I'm terrible that way).

Finally, late last year I had a friend go with me to the sleep number bed company.  She owned one and loved it and she helps me with everything.  I finally bought it.

I'll shorten this by saying I've had it for maybe....(tick tock...I'm thinking...now I'm guessing) maybe 5-6 months and I love it.  I don't just love it I LOVE it.

It does everything.  The feet go up.  The head goes up.  It adjusts as I sleep (and on and on).  I can adjust how soft or hard I want it.

Did I say I love it?  No one else can stand to lay on it....(too soft they say).  But with my bad back, it's wonderful.

There are different kinds of Sleep Number beds, different prices.

I suggest people look into it.  I got mine 1/2 price.  

New Contributor

Great answer!

Honored Contributor

I've always been fascinated by the sleep number bed but I don't want a hard sell.  I have no patience for that.  Which is why I avoid furniture stores.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Is there such a thing as a Sleep Number Memory Foam mattress?

I love our memory foam, but DH says its way too hard.  Maybe this would be a good compromise if they make it.