Valued Contributor

Thoughts on today's TSV...Northern Nights mattress...?

Your best tips for purchasing a mattress, and what brand?  

Especially a mattress in a box?  I am curious...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Respected Contributor

@barb40   the new mattresses in a box are all the rage right now. lots of positive things.  That being said, personally i would never consider buying a mattress online, unless i had already tried it out somewhere, and i was getting a awesome deal. not everyone likes the same thing in a mattress. what may be great and comfey to me, may feel like a bag of rags to you. and as we all know, those mattresses are not cheap, nor easy to return. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mattress Buying???

[ Edited ]

I have a Sealy trust II. Went to the mattress store and tried out two mattresses. I knew I wanted a hybrid for a adjustable base. I checked out a firm mattress and one a little less firm. I love it. Have nrever slept befter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

Thoughts on today's TSV...Northern Nights mattress...?

Your best tips for purchasing a mattress, and what brand?  

Especially a mattress in a box?  I am curious...

Thanks for your suggestions!

@barb40  Thanks for posting this! I'm interested as well. We purchased a bed in a box for my son's "sometimes he's here" bedroom. It was foam and came in a reasonably small box. When we opened it, the mattress "grew." We just didn't like it, so we had to send it back. Of course we couldn't get it back in the box, so we actually had to buy a box to return it. You should have seen us trying to get it back in the box! Do you remember that ****** Van ****** Show episode where Laura hid an inflatable boat in the closet? Hahahaha!

Esteemed Contributor

Can't imagine buying a bed in a box -- especially when not being able to check it out. For mattresses, I only buy at Local Mattress Stores (not Furniture Stores) - that's all they sell and they have professional salespeople who I tell what I'm looking for - and they direct me to the right mattress(s) to lay on.

1-1/2 yrs ago, I went to The Sleep Shoppe in Ventura, CA (they have several stores in the area) - and purchased a Simmons Beautyrest, Silver, Luxury Firm (which is medium/firm). It was a holiday weekend and got a big discount. I'm very happy with this mattress.

They have professional delivery guys who were like acrobats - in bringing the mattress and box spring to my upstairs master bedroom. One guy held up the mattress - while the other guy was on my 2nd level - and caught the mattress!!! This store also told me that I need to sleep on it for 30 days - and then I had another month or two to exchange it - if I wasn't happy.

This is the 8th mattress/boxspring that I purchased from this store over the last 17 yrs (I have 4 bedrooms).

This mattress is tall - and the salesman ordered a shorter boxspring for me. 

I also had free delivery!!!!

I always check reviews on Yelp and other sites when purchasing anything. We have so many choices today.

I also recommend Costco dot com - they have the best customer svce and lots of mattress choices and reviews.

Respected Contributor

only sleep on sleep number bed......

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies, Everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

This is the first NN mattress I've seen and gave it quick consideration for a guest bedroom.

Since it's foam, will it smell? And is it MIC? Which will likely guarantee it smells.

Honored Contributor

I think it is best if you lay down on the mattress.  If you don't and order from TV or a website, you may not like the feel.  I hate really firm mattresses.  Then you may have to return.  If you don't mind returning, go for it.  I would do a little research  first trying to read reviews, etc.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

I got on from Wayfair, it was super easy to move,set up, and watch come up. though the description said medium firm ,it was firm ,took me two weeks to get a topper to soften it, now it is perfect, I think it’s great. much better then these sleep number beds that cost the price of a used car. Give them a try.