Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

The only room with matched furniture is the dining room.  I fell in love with the Asian / Chinese feel and it seemed to go well with the two Spanish stucco walls of the addition:

890AB5BF-546F-4425-9E69-5A26BC519F7C.jpeg

@jlkz 

What a gorgeous cabinet! 👍

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

When I put a room together I will choose a couple of (or a few) pieces from a collection and put them together with other pieces that I have found and liked.  It keeps the cohesive feel, but allows me to mix interesting pieces into the mix.

@faeriemoon 

Other than my matched dining set & one bedroom set, I do that too. I think following your formula works. 

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of matching sets. I prefer to put more thought into an array of varied pieces. It is definitely up to the individual though.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Almost 20 years ago living in a 1500 square foot home, we purchased a dining room set (table, chairs and hutch), bedroom set, and two living room end tables and sofa table all from the same set.  It's Thomasville furniture and cost  a pretty penny.  It got discontinued very shortly afterwards.  Even though my dining sit was too big for my little dining area and we had to put the large dresser with mirror in another room because our master couldn't fit all the pieces, I knew that my small ranch room wasn't going to be my forever home.  We now live in a 7500 square foot home and the furniture looks lovely.  You walk into the front door, on the left is the formal living room with my tables and on the right my dining room.  It all flows since it's from the same set and I like that.  I like the matching.

@ScrapHappy 

Your home sounds lovely. 7500 sq. feet is a lot of space! We live in a small home - only 1700 sq. feet on the main level. We do have a partially finished basement though. 

Our dining room set is also from Thomasville. You’re right- costs $ but very nice furniture. 

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Almost 20 years ago living in a 1500 square foot home, we purchased a dining room set (table, chairs and hutch), bedroom set, and two living room end tables and sofa table all from the same set.  It's Thomasville furniture and cost  a pretty penny.  It got discontinued very shortly afterwards.  Even though my dining sit was too big for my little dining area and we had to put the large dresser with mirror in another room because our master couldn't fit all the pieces, I knew that my small ranch room wasn't going to be my forever home.  We now live in a 7500 square foot home and the furniture looks lovely.  You walk into the front door, on the left is the formal living room with my tables and on the right my dining room.  It all flows since it's from the same set and I like that.  I like the matching.

@ScrapHappy 

Your home sounds lovely. 7500 sq. feet is a lot of space! We live in a small home - only 1700 sq. feet on the main level. We do have a partially finished basement though. 

Our dining room set is also from Thomasville. You’re right- costs $ but very nice furniture. 

We went backwards  Supposed to buy the big house first but that was in California.  A lot more bang for you buck in the Southeast.  We noticed Thomasville stores closing so I went on line.  Found out they were bought out by another company and then closed.  Thomasville furniture is no more.

Honored Contributor

Agree that matching furniture pieces are currently out of style, but give me an old Thomasville catalog and I'm happy. I feel strongly that bedroom pieces need to match in scale and style.

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

The room size would need to be considered first.  Our home is smaller, so we'd need to figure out the floor plan for a matching set; i.e, sectional sofa.  But, I'd like a contrasting piece to break up the matching color/pattern of the main set.  We don't use a coffee table as it makes the living room look smaller.

Honored Contributor

Have never had any sets of furniture except for sofa and loveseats.

Honored Contributor

Re: Matching furniture sets

[ Edited ]

I'd assume 'in the day' sets or suites of furniture were considered the thing to do. I've not had matching furniture since living at home with family. I've never wanted matching sets living in my own place. The closest I've come was several sets of matching end tables and even then they were rarely used together. There's nothing wrong with sets of furniture if that look works for you and it does make decorating easier, I assume, but I've always preferred more variety.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...