Honored Contributor

My "style" is Hippie/Industrial......with a bunch of Tiffany reproduction lamps, and some mid-century modern thrown in.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

We tried this when we were all giddy with being newlyweds.  Now after many moves and sizes I have a mix.  I also have some pieces from the grands that match nothing and just love.  Some well loved pieces have been recovered too.  No one left to please but me.

Honored Contributor

I've never bought matching pieces.  I buy furniture one piece at a time, and it lasts forever.  I still have the same bedroom furniture that I bought when I was in my 20's (bed, dresser, bedside table.)  It's Henredon and was not from the same collection.  I intend to always have it.  I have other pieces of furniture in my bedroom, too.

I buy furniture with the intention of keeping it forever.  I usually reupholster my furniture instead of buying new, too.

My mother never liked matching sets of furniture, and I have followed her example.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My bedroom is a set.  It's a small space and I wanted night stands with drawers for extra storage and a dresser.

So bed, dresser, night stands, 4 pieces.

For the rest of the house, no.  I only have a kitchen, no dining room.  I have never found a table and chair set I love.  I have those industrial chairs that everyone has for the kitchen and a white metal table from Amazon.  No hutch or anything.

In my living room (only living space, no den) I have a matched set of glass tables from pottery barn for a coffee table, end table and a tv stand.  Sofa is leather from Macy's, chairs are from Marshall's, other table is from Hobby Lobby.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Matching sets are out of style now, but in a few years they will be out.

I don't use matching sets.  I chose complementary pieces in the same style and wood preferring a style that won't become dated. 

As for sofas and chairs, I prefer they be different, again, in the same style.  I also chose fabric that wouldn't become dated.  Often flowers, for example, can be dated to popularity during a specific decade.  

I honestly don't care about trends or what others like. Purchase wisely and furniture will last a lifetime.  

Respected Contributor

This has been true for along time. My husband always wants the whole set and I tell him that is not where it's at babe. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, and I have always been very happy with the look of the rooms in my house.

I rarely ever see pictures of homes in magazines that interest me.   I acknowledge pretty pictures, but seldom see a picture of a room I would want to live in.   

My husband and I built this home for our family to live in comfortably; it was never intended to be a showplace or featured in magazines.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Matching furniture sets

[ Edited ]

Interesting question. Enjoy reading responses. Our bedroom sets are matched. Hubs and I grew up in  homes with mismatched bedroom stuff; not always attractive. Having quality, matched bedroom sets as adults is something we're comfy with. We add interesting lamps and wall decor.  The rest of my home is more eclectic. Kitchen cupboard cabinet is a great color of red with a more traditional dark mango wood modern farmhouse table. Everything in open dining room is eclectic. I want my open living room to be more eclectic and am working on that. I put a lot more thought and research into eclectic decor than matched.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I like furniture where the pieces compliment each other but they don't have to be a set. I do like to have the chairs match in a room and the lamps also if they are on an end table.

Super Contributor

Our bedroom furniture matches....chest, bed frame/headboard, dresser and mirror. It is from Ethan Allen. It was purchased 46 years ago and I love it as much as the day it entered our house !  Table and dining chairs match but every thing else is an eclectic combination that pleases me...don't care much for trends !