Super Contributor

Marmoleum Flooring..Any one have it? Opinions needed re: pros and cons

Hello ALL,

I'm considering having Marmoleum flooring installed in my home office. Probably the click type of flooring.  I've read positive reviews on the product...although I believe it's generally more expensive than vinyl flooring.  Anyone have this flooring? Pros/cons?  TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Marmoleum Flooring..Any one have it? Opinions needed re: pros and cons

Hi @MsCatLuver, I’m interested in it, too. There are just 1,000s of choices/combinations you can do.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Super Contributor

@Mimi 1883   I hope we get some feedback here

Respected Contributor

When we remodeled our kitchen I wanted the flooring to be a good quality one that would withstand many years of use.   My mother always had linoleum on our kitchen floor and I remember that it was practically indestructible

I also wanted something that was low VOC and did not off-gas.   I had to search around a bit and finally found a flooring store that carried Armstrong Linoleum.    The flooring they installed was a commercial type.    I have been very happy with it.

I didn't want a hardwood floor in my kitchen and I didn't want vinyl.   

I know not everyone would like linoleum and it was much more expensive than vinyl.   But all in all, I am quite pleased with it and would recommend the Armstrong Linoleum.   

Our house was built in 1966 so the linoleum fits in well.   I'm sure someone who has a brand new house or one just a few years old would most likely not want linoleum.  I've noticed most of those homeowners go for hardwood or tile.  

I really have no complaints to speak of.  It's easy to care for and can withstand lots of wear and tear.    For cleaning, I just mop it with a gentle cleaner and every few months we use a special Armstrong cleaner along with a wax that puts a beautiful shine on it that lasts for months.   

I think the Marmoleum is made by a different manufacturer, I believe it's Forbo.  I did look at it but I decided the Armstrong one better suited our needs.  

If you do decide to go with a linoleum type flooring I think you will be well pleased. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl  Thanks so much for your reply.  Sounds like linoleum/marmoleum is a great flooring material.  Will check it out.

ETA:  Also, thanks so much for recommending the Armstrong brand...you are correct about Marmoleum being produced by Forbo company,

Respected Contributor

Don't know about Marmoleum ( marmaladeX linoleum?) Smiley Happy  Way back when, my Dad put in the kitchen flooring and he used linoleum also commercial grade , the color went all the way through it not just on the top.  He laid it down with a contrasting almost border around the whole room and make believe outlines of where rugs would go like by the sink and the oven.  Looked good, lasted FOREVER,  and we kids had the coolest toy car track in the neighborhood!

Super Contributor

@candys mine  thanks for your input.  I think linoleum (and the Marmoleum new product) is making a comeback due to environmental reasons, wonderful durability and vast amount of colors (even wood looking designs)

Valued Contributor

@MsCatLuver

Wow, I feel vindicated.

I insisted on linoleum years ago and it still looks fantastic.  It is in kitchen and bathroom.  One piece.  A contractor's wife wanted to know what it was so she could also get it.  It looks so nice --- still. 

I never wanted to stand on hard tiles.  Very hard on your back and legs.   

I put beautiful hard tiles in my sunroom.  

Trusted Contributor

We put Congoleum Dura-Ceramic in our bathrooms, laundry room, and wet bar. It's a vinyl tile that looks like ceramic and comes in a lot of colors. We put the tiles close together so no need for grout. They clean easily, were easy to install, and have worn well.

Trusted Contributor

True linoleum is a natural product. I think it got a bad association when all the vinyl hit the market. I really like it. I don't have any now-we bought this house with ceramic in the kitchen and baths. Ceramic is so hard on your feet and back. Next home, I would like to get away from the tile.