Honored Contributor

Re: Making a Winter Home Cozy..What do you Use?

Stay at my summer home.

Honored Contributor

I have flameless candles and lanterns out all year, but beginning in the fall I use more, and light them more often. I use more pine greens with them for a warmer look too.

I used to put out more throws, but found that they added to the clutter/busy look in some applications, and cut back on them a bit. I chose to put them in areas like storage ottomans in the rooms, near the seating, rather than display as many. I like the look of say a throw and a pillow on a wooden bench to warm it up, but not into a lot of pillows on a sofa.

I change the couple of throw pillows I use, to darker colors for fall and winter, but don't like to pile on the pillows. I tried that in the past, and found it to be too cluttering, like the throws. 

I do work in my Duraflame heaters, and they add warmth both visual and actual, to the rooms. 

I do love when spring really has sprung, and I can have less of that kind of stuff in the rooms. Everything looks like it does when Christmas comes down, clean and empty, open and wide.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

I put out a lot of throws and blankes and flameless candles. Love the feeling of being cozy. 

Honored Contributor

I put 2 throws out and change my pillow color. My lanterns stay out all year. I use black lanterns in Fall/Winter and Cream Spring/Summer.

I still have my pinecone and greenery out but I usually keep my decor minimal this time of year.

Valued Contributor

I put out snowman figurines all winter.  They just make me smile. I have one that looks like it's melting and it says "slush happens".

Honored Contributor

Nice comfy throws, and plenty of candles!!!!!!Love Candles(flameless and Real). Of course we use our wood burning fireplace much more often.........Love the ambience of candles burning and a nice fire burning.......

Respected Contributor

I have 4 flameless candles on my mantel, but I only turn them on in December--a couple of weeks before Christmas. They're on a 6 hour timer. Once the batteries run down, usually in March, I take them out & don't replace them til the following December. I like the candle glow when it gets dark so early!

That's all I do...no "winter" decor of any kind.

Honored Contributor

I downloaded an app on my desktop of a crackling fire. It looks like a fire in a fireplace and has the sound of it, too. 

Respected Contributor

@LIG1 wrote:

@Regal Bee, good question, because I love having a warm and inviting home and especially for the winter. The one big change I make is adding an oversized rug to the LR.. we have the coldest hardwood floors during the winter. So besides the warmth it provides for us and our furbabies, it also gives a cozy feel to the room.

I also bring out an Amish made wood bench that sits in front of our fireplace... change over a wreath that hangs on the front of the armoire (that belonged to my parents)... and change over table runners on several pieces and add several extra throws and pillows. 

@LIG1  I also placed a bench in front of our fireplace. It is upholstered and I added a throw....makes it so cozy.

I have added extra pillows, too. Just love it. Smiley Very Happy