Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried this.  Shophq has them.  I spend so much money on candles I was thinking this might be a better choice.  For those of you who have used them what are your thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 

I bought several a few years back, and ended up giving them all away.  

It was my fault for not just trying ONE first, but oh, no, I had to go all in.

Anyway, the scent produced never smelled fresh to me.  And, no matter what scent I used, it all smelled "off."  I had bottles and bottles of the stuff, and it all smelled odd to me when it burned.

There was someone on the board at the time that loved them and had used them for years.  Maybe it is an acquired taste, but they just didn't work for me.

Add to that the fact that they didn't burn properly half the time, and it was just a big waste of money for me.

Candles still seem to have the best throw, but I had to give up burning them in my house.  I used toppers and everything I could to keep the soot throw down. 

Even candles that burned "clean" seemed to leave a residue on the walls after lots of burning.

I switched to reed diffuser scents.  They do not have the throw of a candle, so I just put a few around the house.

Honored Contributor

Re: Maison Berger Lampe

[ Edited ]

I have had a couple of Lampe Berger's for years and love them.  The only scents I have tried that I liked were the Green Apple and Sweet Pear.  The others I have tried were too strong.  I don't like the scents that come in the sets.  

The Maison Lampe Bergers are the real thing and work well.  Not all of them are the same.  I have one of that brand and one of another but I don't remember what it is.  The other one that I have works just as well but I wouldn't know where to find it again.  It's good to get a clear one or one that you can see through.  You need to know how full you're filling it (only halfway or slightly above halfway).  Otherwise, it won't work.  You have to follow the directions exactly.  I gave one to a friend one time who said it didn't have a scent.  She was lighting it and leaving the flame going the entire time.  That just uses up the fluid  and doesn't give a scent.  

You light it for two to three minutes, blow it out, put the open holed cap over it and let it scent the room for 30 - 45 minutes then sniff it out with the small solid cap.

Everyone who comes to my house when I have one going comments on how good it smells.  There are many places online that sell them, but make sure you're getting an authentic Lampe Berger.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

I wish you could have stopped by my house to sniff when my lamps were burning to see if it was just me Cat LOL

My lamps were the brand mentioned, and I used the correct procedure.   Even bought new stones and wicks.  Still, several never burned properly.

No matter what I did, I just didn't like the scents...and I believe I did have some of the green apple.

I'm glad they work for you and you love them.  It's lovely to walk into a home that smells fresh and pleasant no matter how you get there! Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Did you possibly have the lamps filled too full?  They really should only be filled about halfway.  I've filled them too full and had to pour some of the oil out to get them to work.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

No, I filled them half way.  Followed all the instructions.

As I said, it was my fault for buying multiples before I was sure they would work for me.  

The scent was always unpleasant to me from the beginning.  I suspect it was just how I perceived it.

The reed diffusers need less tending and work well for me, they just have limited throw.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   My sister buys reed diffusers from Anthropologie that smell wonderful.  I agree that they have limited throw, though.

-Henry David Thoreau