Honored Contributor

MYSTERY INTERIOR PHOTO SHOOT-- A GUESSING GAME

[ Edited ]

In the mid-Sixties, Diana Vreeland commissioned a photo shoot of a certain interior, belonging to a famous person. 

This particular image I've always loved-- it has such an interesting mood!  The man's position, his expression, the room in which he lounges.   And the woman lingering in the background intensifies the mystery.

Some of you will instantly identify this photo.  But if you've not seen it before:

Just by looking, can you identify any one or more of the follwowing--  

the country where it was located?

the city where it was located?

the occupation of the man in the foreground?

or, the identity of the man in the foreground?

Edited to add:   Oh, I also meant to add, the nationality of the man?

sothebys-com.brightspotcdn.com.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: MYSTERY INTERIOR PHOTO SHOOT-- A GUESSING GAME

bigger question

does anyone know who DV was 

Super Contributor

Based solely on the bust behind the man,  I'm guessing Rome as the locale.  Unless it's Greece and a home of Onassis?  No idea as to the man's profession but he certainly looks nice in his white suit and nifty shoes.

Honored Contributor

I am thinking Paris France but the the clues say Rome or Greece.

The Man looks familiar and the woman slightly resembles Jackie O.

I have to think more about this one. I am all over the place but keep thinking Onassis even though the man looks nothing like him.

Valued Contributor

Interesting photo, I am thinking France and I think the woman looks like Jackie Onassis' sister, Lee Radzwill.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Am taking a far fetched guess. Will be interesting who these people are.

Gianni Versace

Frederico Fellini

Marcello Mastroianni

Mike Todd

Respected Contributor

@Oznell The gentleman Cy Twombly.  He was an American painter, sculptor and photographer.  A contemporary of Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenber.  That is his wife in the backgtound, Baroness Tatiana Franchetti in their apartment in Rome which belonged at one time to the Borgia Family.  This was photographed by Horst in 1968 for Vogue.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bingo, @Somertime ,  you've got it, very good summary!  It didn't take long for that to be nailed.    

(By the way, @jackthebear ,  my apologies for not saying who Diana Vreeland was-- I meant to.  She was the influential one-time editor at Vogue, which allowed her to run around "commissioning" photo shoots of beautiful interiors, among other things.)

The guesses were really good, with @DREAMON@Elodie2  and @Terrywu all specifying that it was a Mediterrean locale, Italy, Greece or France.

@Terrywu   great guess as to the woman-- when I first saw this, I noticed the resemblance (from a distance) to Lee Radziwill too!   Something about the silhouette of the hair, the fine features and the stylish look.

I love your guesses as to the man, @skatting44 --  very imaginative!

Love the "undone" look of the palazzo, with leaning canvases, etc.,  but gorgeous antiques and architecture.

They were living there, but not in a "precious" way, more in a bohemian artist way I guess.

Cy Twombly left New York in the late Fifites to go to Rome and pursue his art.  His patrician Italian wife was an artist as well.

Despite the setting, he looks very American to me.  There was something defiant about the way he's sprawling-- maybe it's the upturned, loafered foot??  Then I read that he was a very private person, and speculated that he might have had mixed feelings about letting Vogue into the apartment....

You can read all kinds of things into it!   I just love this photo.

Thanks for playing the game! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Bingo, @Somertime ,  you've got it, very good summary!  It didn't take long for that to be nailed.    

(By the way, @jackthebear ,  my apologies for not saying who Diana Vreeland was-- I meant to.  She was the influential one-time editor at Vogue, which allowed her to run around "commissioning" photo shoots of beautiful interiors, among other things.)

The guesses were really good, with @DREAMON@Elodie2  and @Terrywu all specifying that it was a Mediterrean locale, Italy, Greece or France.

@Terrywu   great guess as to the woman-- when I first saw this, I noticed the resemblance (from a distance) to Lee Radziwill too!   Something about the silhouette of the hair, the fine features and the stylish look.

I love your guesses as to the man, @skatting44 --  very imaginative!

Love the "undone" look of the palazzo, with leaning canvases, etc.,  but gorgeous antiques and architecture.

They were living there, but not in a "precious" way, more in a bohemian artist way I guess.

Cy Twombly left New York in the late Fifites to go to Rome and pursue his art.  His patrician Italian wife was an artist as well.

Despite the setting, he looks very American to me.  There was something defiant about the way he's sprawling-- maybe it's the upturned, loafered foot??  Then I read that he was a very private person, and speculated that he might have had mixed feelings about letting Vogue into the apartment....

You can read all kinds of things into it!   I just love this photo.

Thanks for playing the game! 

@Oznell   I knew who she was but I think perhaps her name is not as well known as it used to be now 

unless you are into style, fashion history etc 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

bigger question

does anyone know who DV was 

@jackthebear 

Seriously?    Woman Surprised