Trusted Contributor

MY DYSON V7 ANIMAL VACUUM IS MALFUNCTIONING

I purchased this vacuum in 2018 and, as I recall, paid almost $400 for it.  I thought I would get a lot more than 5 yrs out of it as I live in a 900 sf apt that I clean myself. I always treated the vacuum with care. 

To my dismay, the motor seems to be zonking out on me.  After a full charge, it sputters on and off and then goes dead after a short time.

It is out of warantee. 

I'm unsure whether I should start some sort of dialogue with Dyson CS or if I should simply decide that the hassle of possibly fixing the vacuum (like having to ship it back to Dyson and paying the cost both ways) or accepting that I need to buy a new vacuum and throwing it out.

I was very happy with my Dyson; however, I'm not sure I want to spend $400 on a new vacuum. 

Any suggestions???

Contributor

Re: MY DYSON V7 ANIMAL VACUUM IS MALFUNCTIONING

Does yours have the cone shaped filter on top.........if so it sounds like it needs to be cleaned,  (rinsed well and air dried completly)  also maybe the dirt bin needs cleaned.

Trusted Contributor

@kansasbaker   It has an oval-shaped HEPA filter on top and a cone-shaped filter in the front.

I don't discard the dirt in the dust bin after every vacuuming but I'll try that as well.

It would be GREAT if I could get it to work "normally."  Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

Rechargable batteries don't last forever and eventually wear out.  Call Dyson CS about a new one if the problem persists.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

We have a vacuum sales & REPAIR store up the street from us. We took our older than yours, Dyson vac there & they repaired it. Even though we had it quite a while, some of the parts were still on warranty. Check for a repair shop. 

Honored Contributor

2018...if that's how long ago it's been since you've had it then the battery most likely needs replacing. Most rechargeable batteries last around five to seven years on average. Replace the battery and buy all new filters if you haven't already done that.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda  I had a recharable DYSON stick vac.  I thought the battery was bad but when I replaced the battery that was not the problem.  Before I purchased new, my husband and I took the vacuum apart...and I mean took it apart.....just remember how to put it back to gether...there was a huge clog that kept it from running properly.

I always kept the plastic container that held the dirt cleaned out...but dirt accumulated in the hose  You might take it apart to inspect the hose and anything else where a clog could hide.

Respected Contributor

I have one doing the same it's the battery...needs replacing..Amazon has them

Trusted Contributor

@sann   Thanks so much!  I'll order that ASAP because I'd really love to avoid having to invest in another vacuum.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   Am I going to be able to easily replace the old battery with the new one?  I guess I'll ask CS.

Also, I see that Amazon sells a lot of knock-off batteries.  I wonder what the price differential is???