Honored Contributor

MOODY, MYSTERIOUS BLACK PAINT COLORS

The design group "Studio McGee" posted their five favorite black paint colors.  There's been a steady uptick in interest in black in home design the last few years.  To me, the most effective schemes combine black with lots of a lighter color.  My favored combo is black and cream, black and khaki, black and a range of tans, cocoas, and tobaccos.

But even more high-contrast black and  clean white, is of course classic, and looks crisp.  (My favorite comfort zone is really charcoal, not quite black, but ....)

Anyway, here are McGee's five picks:

Sherwin Williams "Tricorn Black"   Described as one of the more "saturated" blacks, often used for drama in a front door:

image-asset.jpeg

"Black Magic"  Sherwin Williams    Considered a softer black:

image-asset.jpeg

The golds in the room and the soft tones of the wool rug stand out against the black:

7static1.squarespace.com.jpeg

Benjamin Moore  "Soot"

studiomcgee_smranchhouse_171.jpg

I do think that black brings out a richness in light woods and textured natural fibers like rattan, and wicker baskets, etc.

image-asset.jpeg

"French Beret"  Benjamin Moore   One of those blacks that is a softer black, with a bit of a blue gray undertone, cheating toward charcoal.  When 'jet black' is a bridge too far for you, ha:

studiomcgee_swanlake_126.jpg

I do think that "French Beret" in real life, is not quite as light as this is appearing to be on my monitor.

studiomcgee_smranchhouse_210.jpg

"Green Black"  by Sherwin Williams    Greeny, bluey blacks have a bit of animation:

image-asset.jpeg

Really like these lower cabinets in "Green Black",  paired with the white uppers, and white countertops:

image-asset.jpeg

Smoky, velvety black. Do you ever consider or use black as an interior color?  Would you do as they did here, black cabinets, or a black accent wall, or a black shingle exterior?

We think we're going to revive our battered, sadly dowdy kitchen bar stools, by spraying the metal legs a Rustoleum (I think!) matte hammered black.  Then we'll probably have to refinish the blond wood seats in something more 'weathered' and driftwood-y....   Here's hoping for success...  

Respected Contributor

Re: MOODY, MYSTERIOUS BLACK PAINT COLORS

I would only consider black in furniture or as accents.  Never a wall.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like accents, as a poster mentioned. We painted our kitchen island black and it looks great. Our other cabinet areas are light cream with black hardware. Granite pulls it all together. 

This year I've seen black garage and front doors with light gray or cream exterior paint. Modern homes. I may not have selected those colors, but don't dislike it.  

Grandson selected 'outer space' interior paint for his bedroom. Deep blue / gray. They put LED lights near the ceiling. He loves it. At 12 years old, he knew what he wanted. I like that. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   This is the first time I liked all the pictures posted.  The design team did an excellent job with designing each room.  Black would not work in my apt. but if you have the right size room and use it tastefully, you have a winner and it can be used in a powder room too, successfully.  I actually like the black furniture.  Actually, I had black bedroom furniture which was extremely contemporary.  Black cube shape nightstands with 2 drawers ea. and then a combo piece with drawers, storage and TV and be closed and locked and not see the TV.  The bed was Italian and very contemporary.  I went out of my way to make the bedroom for both sexes.

Oh, that bathroom is painted shiplap (is that the correct name that Joanna uses all the time?)

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have a black car.   I have to DUST IT every single day..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   I have used Tricorn Black.  It's a deep rich black.  I painted all my interior doors in it with white trim!  My second bath which has 10 foot ceilings, white crown molding and trim and all white fixtures has Tricon black walls.  No it does not make the bathroom dark at all but I do have a window in the bath.  In the bedroom off the bath, I painted the concrete floor black as well as the floor trim, the walls are creamy beige and the remaining trim is white.  Not everyones taste but I am so pleased with it!  My home has a lot of light and windows, so that makes a difference.

Trusted Contributor

All looks fabulous to me. Love black, creamy white and tan together in a room. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Somertime--  how striking it sounds!  You did such interesting things!   I have heard good things about "Tricorn Black" before.  I agree, having tons of natural light makes all the difference.  If you ever see the site "House of Valentina",   Valentina has a huge, vaulted living room and her fireplace wall (including fabulous traditional mantel) is painted black.  The light from the giant windows makes her dramatic black and white scheme just glow also...

@LizzieInSRQ,  you are right, it looks great on your chair.  How smart to pick out and emphasize the color element in your chair with the paint color.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you really need a big room and high ceilings to do a black wall or all black shelving like the office. I really like the bathroom but being older and my eyesight is shot I wonder if you could really see in there at night with just the lighting? I love love love the black door. You may have inspired me @Oznell at my husband expense. 🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

Meant also to say:   I love kitchen islands that are black, @jeanlake .   Yours must look great.  Regret not painting ours "Kendall Charcoal".

@Katcat1,  I like black furniture too.  I have a vintage side table in living room that I think would be good painted black.  Would pick up my other little hits of black, in sconces and lamps....

Yes!  @LoveMyBaby --  such a sophisticated combo!