Honored Contributor

MONTREAL DESIGNER GIVES TOUR OF HIS 1920'S TERRACE HOUSE

Whoa.  In a sea of lookalike and copycat design videos, I think this guy's "informed individualism" is a standout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWyZLpPwf4

For one thing, he goes with lots of color-- but they are smoky, "off-colors".  Plenty of people wouldn't like them.  That goldy mustard in the living room, for example.  I think it's pretty inspired, given the location.  Have you ever experienced a cloudy, Quebec winter?

Then there's that moody deep teal, in the dining room that has the Napoleon-like portrait.

My favorite room would be that small, cheerful upstairs sitting room.  Then that room he called the "chalk paneled" room is extraordinary-- that is an eerie travel back in time...

I would say he's a traditionalist with a bold, but erudite outlook.  The house is too sort of masculine and deep in tone, to completely satisfy me, but I'd still love to visit it, examine all the treasures, and interview and cross-examine a designer as idiosyncratic and interesting as Garrow Kedigian.  

Honored Contributor

Re: MONTREAL DESIGNER GIVES TOUR OF HIS 1920'S TERRACE HOUSE

First, I love his name.  I do love what, to me, is a unique name:  Garrow Kedigian.  

(I also love this name: Post Malone.)

Garrow, Post.  Super cool.

Love his "color on the wall" philosophy.

I love the richness of the tones.  

The only thing is his artwork is a bit too powerful for me.  

All these places we are seeing make me want to move, or at least be a designer in my next life.  Hmmm, now to come up with a cool name. 

Thank you, @Oznell 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

There is much I like in this house and some things I would change.  I would have different art work , I am not a fan of the black colored kitchen cabinets, and I would add different decor and color.  Over all it is lovely but for me changes are in order to suit my taste.

Respected Contributor

What an interesting space!  Love the chalk room!  Fabulous idea. I would think it is sealed in some way.  His colors are interesting and intense but it suits him.  I am not fond of the banquette, particularly with a round table, it seems off or somehow misplaced.............for me it doesn't work but it works for him!

I think it all works for him which it what a designer should do, make sure the interiors reflect the one who lives within it's walls.

Thanks, @Oznell !

Honored Contributor

This is interesting but not what I would choose for my own home.

I am surprised that I really like the kitchen. The dark colors are so warm and cozy. I really like the change from white/cream.

The chalk room is a great idea. The art work is personal and definitely not what I would choose but art should be personal so I like it for that reason.

I would love to see this home in person....but then again I could tour homes every day and not get bored.

Honored Contributor

Hey, you are right, "Post Malone" definitely IS another great name, @GingerPeach !

Respected Contributor

LOVE the chalk room!  I immediately started to think could I hire someone to do that???

Honored Contributor

As with almost any home posted here, it goes without saying there are things I'd want to change. Overall though, I love this house and I enjoy his aesthetic. I very much like most of what he's done with his home.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The black kitchen haa got to go!  Looks like a dungeon.  I like some of his designs but not all.  I have seen better.  Montreal is a lovely, interestinig city.  Old Montreal is a must to see.  I visted Montreal on my honeymoon many years ago but now I am divorced which is a good thing.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like some of the rooms, living room in mustard except do not like the black mouldings around windows. Especially like the rooms with lighter walls, do not like black or dark walls and  cabinetry as in kitchen and/or mouldings.  Also do not like all the male nude paintings, head sculptures and male portraits, which to me, resemble the designer!