Honored Contributor

Re: MIXING DESIGN STYLES

[ Edited ]

What a good point about the expectation of a more important piece over the fireplace, @faeriemoon --  I hadn't quite thought of it that way, but think you are right.

Even if they were going for subtlety and understatement, it would seem they could have gotten something more visually pleasing. 

I do like that in the sort of 'focal' art spot, they chose something modern, to contrast with the traditional style architecture--  keeping the "mix of styles" tension going.

Possibly just a simple round mirror, like they did here, plus it would have added some depth to the space:Introducing+Our+Fall+Collection+With+Threshold+for+Target!.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I agree that a mirror would have been an excellent option in this case for all the reasons you mentioned.  Generally the frame of a mirror makes more af a statement than the actual mirror, and it's quite easy to find a frame that "says" anything you want it to say.  And personally, I love reflection as art.  I have a mirror on the mantel that tilts upward to reflect the coffered ceiling.  

Honored Contributor

I love the look of tilted mirrors, @faeriemoon !

Esteemed Contributor

Love the style!!!

OT:  Love that dress too!

Respected Contributor

I think this stark room would look a bit less lifeless if a light blue paint (matching the blue in the rug) were used on the back wall of the book case cubbies.

Honored Contributor

The room is nice.  Not over the top.  No big surprises.  I don't see any mixing.  Maybe I don't know what mixing is....

Maybe I don't know what an oriental rug is, because that rug is nice, but I wouldn't consider it oriental/persian.

I'm way off, because I don't like the first designers dress (or shoes!), but love the way the second designer is dressed!