Honored Contributor

mg-8276-1_1_orig.jpg

I thought it was interesting that in this room, the lush greens over the mantel, seem to take precedence in Christmas decoration.  The mini Christmas tree is adorable, but the thick cascading garland is what takes my eye.

Is the smaller tree disappointing, or fine with you in a room like this? 

I don't have a mantel, but a vintage-looking cupboard that I decorate like it IS a mantel.  And our "tree" for the last few years is a wee ceramic one from years past.   So it's clear I'm not wedded to having a big tree presence.

Enjoy looking at the trees of others, though.   But to me not necessary, as long as there are 'greens' around.

Honored Contributor

I like this room.  Don't miss a tree at all.  We haven't put one up in years.

Honored Contributor

that photo is what DD and I do for decorating for Xmas--not that elegant of course--we live in a 930sq ft apartment so not much room for a big tree, but the mantle is great for my seasonal decors--I would say that our living area is the same size as in the photo--minus the huge book shelf---and our tree is that small too---

Honored Contributor

Re: MANTEL VS. TREE?

[ Edited ]

I do understand those missing a place to hang treasured ornaments.  I'm surprised that I like the symbolic idea below as much as I do.  Still seems festive, and definitely space saving:

Super Theme Large-60678_LIFE-Holiday-Dec-Small-Space-1123.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I love how the mantel is decorated!  The little tree in the corner is cute, but the room would still be beautiful without it.  When we moved we downsized from a 5 ft. tree to a 2 ft. tree, but I make up for it by decorating my mantel and staircase. I've considered not even putting up the little tree, but do it just out of habit.

Respected Contributor

I didn't even notice the tree at first.  

Esteemed Contributor

I really like it ,  and I'm surprised at that because I usually like seeing a big tree being the focal point . I noticed the beautiful dressed Santa beside the mantle !    We have discussed doing our 4' tree table top this year as it's so much trouble lugging the huge 9' tree up from the basement and taking it down after.  It is a pretty flocked tree in a white lovely urn , prelate with tiny vintage ornaments and glass vintage garland .     Of course we will dress the mantle and other Christmas decor throughout.

thanks for posting @Oznell !

Respected Contributor

I do like the mantle. I would replace the picture above the mantle with a wreath.

Honored Contributor

Mantle and hearth at our house.  I have not put up a traditional tree for probably 20 years.

Respected Contributor

We got rid of out tree a few years ago. Now I am still getting rid of ornaments, mostly Hallmark.  Now I decorate the mantel,different every year and centerpiece. Sometimes just a bell jar or bowl.  Much prefer it to the tree.