Honored Contributor

MANHATTAN TRADITIONAL APARTMENT

[ Edited ]

09_Phillip-Thomas_Photo-Credit_Michael-Mundy.jpg

Interior designer Phillip Thomas's interiors can sometimes be too 'over-heated' for me;  I enjoy soft color, but he can go for electric hues too bright for my taste.

But I like this New York living room, especially as a fan of pink and blush accents.  It also just seems spring-y.

Black and white art photography is always a clever counterpoint to rooms that could read as "over-sweet",  I think.  Makes the mix more interesting.

11_Phillip-Thomas_Photo-Credit_Michael-Mundy.jpg

After years of plain paint treatments, have you noticed that special painting effects have been creeping back, like this "combed" or cross-hatched technique on these walls.  In the context of this very English-influenced room, I find it pretty.

22_Phillip-Thomas_Photo-Credit_Michael-Mundy.jpg

OK, now in the entrance hall he's getting a little too frilly for me.  Of course, LOVE the inlaid floor, ceiling and the lacquered deep blue door though.   Those funny little poufy ottoman things that you see everywhere are not my favorites.

07_Phillip-Thomas_Photo-Credit_Michael-Mundy.jpg

This little conversation corner seemed inviting.  Love the three-tiered table.  He mixes metals nicely in the apartment.

25_Phillip-Thomas_Photo-Credit_Michael-Mundy.jpg

The rest of the apartment went too vivid for me!   Lovers of red rooms, if you're curious, wander over to The Glam Pad or Flower online, to see the most flame-colored Phillip Thomas den imaginable-  it "vibrates" on the eye!   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MANHATTAN TRADITIONAL APARTMENT

Swooning over the wood trim- probably built about 100 years ago.

Looks very Grandmillennial to me- like the apt. was done with Grandma's old but good quality furniture. Not my jam.

I do like the placement of the dining area in relation to the LR. I know someone who has a very similar layout and it is awkwardly furnished. The space pictured looks better.

I like the painting technique. Looks like blue grasscloth.

Again, I am not a fan of blue & pink in this space. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - Even though I am not a fan of pink, I do like this room since it incorporates blue (my favorite color).

Also like the "special effect" paint and the area with the dining table reminds me of an English Garden.  Love the vivid blue door.  Have to say that poufy ottoman looks like an animal (maybe an ostrich) missing the upper half of it's body!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Strangely enough, I don't hate it.  There's an odd retro feel here that I just cannot dislike.

It's not the Manhattan of the 21st Century.  Maybe that's its appeal.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I do like the overall look of this.  I don't like the animal print ottoman or the tufted button sofa.  I don't like tufted buttons at all.  They are dust collectors.  I had a chair with tufted buttons and never could vacuum them properly, even with the upholstery attachment.

I love the andirons!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is a lovely room, but not my taste. I do think his clever placement of color makes it appealing to the eye. I love the framed piece of art in the last picture.

Honored Contributor

This is a wonderful apartment and I very much appreciate many of the elements. That beatuiful floor in the foyer is amazing. While the living room is pretty, I don't care for a pink and blue color scheme and I actively dislike the busy geometric rug. I also don't care for photography as art. Regardless, it is a lovely home.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I do not like the art work on the walls.  However, I like the furnishings, much of the decor, ceilings , chandelier, the entrance room floor is so appealing.  The pink color scheme doesn't bother me at all and I like the blue/pink combo.  I have always wanted a Village apartment but this is fine for me!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I like the ceilings, fireplace, the entrance hall floor and chandelier.   That's about it.

Honored Contributor

If I lived alone, I would love it. That said, my husband would nix the pastel pink and blue. I doubt he would be comfortable in that space.