Respected Contributor

Re: Lysol Laundry Sanitizer On Sale At Costco

I have used the sanitizer for several years before the pandemic because I have dogs that sleep with us and are on all the furniture (which is covered).   It really controls the doggy smell.   I had enough to cover the time I couldn't find any during the shortage and keep at least 2 bottles on hand.   I bought 2 at Costco last week.  I add to the rinse cycle instead of softener.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@SloopJohnB 

Thanks! Sold! Now I just have to figure out how to add to rinse cycle. I've never done that 🤪

@scatcat  I stopped using liquid fabric softener, because I couldn't get it all out of my towels & it made them feel gummy & the nap stuck together & they didn't dry well anymore. The HE machines don't use enough water IMHO to clean & rinse things properly. It's probably the same reason they tell you not to use fabric softener on microfiber, it gums up the fibers.  I just use liquid detergent (I use Persil ProClean) in the detergent slot & the Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in the fabric softener slot.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really like this product also....

Definitely no more smelly towels. However

one thing that I was  concerned about

was that I noticed some red welts where

The waistband of my jeans hits me, so

Googled and  found some info on It

suggestingr running an extra rinse cycle

since it does have eye and skin irritants. I'm still 

experimenting with it, trying it in a presoak instead of the rinse cycle.

eta....It actually states on the label that it" causes

Irreversible eye damage, and remove and rewash contaminated clothes before wearing " HUH ? 🤔WOW! 😳

Valued Contributor

This stuff is great.  Laundry smells nice and fresh after, and I like the whole disinfectant idea.

Be sure to read the instructions when you first use this!  It says DO NOT use along with bleach.  It goes in the fabric softener chamber and I don't know if I am hallucinating or not, but it seemed to bleach my whites when I used it in hot water on my towels and underwear!

Honored Contributor

I see no reason to use a sanitizer in my laundry.  Washing and dryer use kills bacteria and germs.  Especially using high heat in the dryer, which I use for sheets and towels.  I also use hot water for the sheets and towels.

Never use softner on your towels, bath or kitchen.  If they get smelly, put some vinegar in their rinse cycle.

So I save the total cost of a sanitizer.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@SloopJohnB 

Thanks! Sold! Now I just have to figure out how to add to rinse cycle. I've never done that 🤪

@scatcat   If you don't have a special dispenser that adds to the rinse cycle, like some may put fabric softener in, you can do it the old school way, which is what I do.  The next time you do a load of laundry, you can check it every so often to see when it gets to the rinse cycle.  You will only have to do it for this one time.  Then you know how many minutes it takes for your washer to get to that cycle.  For my washer it is 20 minutes.

So, when I put a load in, I set my oven timer for 20 minutes.  When it goes off, I know to put in the Lysol.  Either that, or I know my batch of cookies are ready!  LOL.  🍪🍪🍪

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put a capful of Pine-Sol in one particular load which needs sanitizing, that's all. 

I agree with @Imaoldhippie @that the dryer heat takes care of further sanitizing. 

Respected Contributor

OMG.   LOVE LYSOL LAUNDRY SANITIZER.  You couldn't get it for the longest time at the start of the pandemic until recently.  I would try to order it whever I could and alerted some of my friends when it was available.  If you didn't jump on it immediately,  it was sold out!  I even called Lysol about the lack of supply!!!!

I ALWAYS use it for every laundry load that I do and rinse our masks in it too.  Makes everything smell so fresh.

I use it in the WASH CYCLE,  and others I know do the same.  It tells you to put it in the rinse cycle and let it sit for awhile.  I find that just adding it to the wash cycle is perfect.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.  

Respected Contributor

I've never tried this product. But I add  about half a cup of ammonia ito the load when I wash towels. Works for me and a lot cheaper than Lysol. 

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering what scent I got. It is HORRIBLE. I just used it on bathmats and only a speck and the smell is nauseating. I'm going to run them thru another cycle with an extra rinse to see if it will go away. I can't understand how they make it so perfume-y. I'll have to see what scent I got.