Super Contributor

Luminaria wax "vanilla" smell

I just recieved the set of 4 5" wax candles, and while they are gorgeous, and a good size, the smell is giving me a headache. It's supposed to be vanilla, but these smell like Palmers cocobutter! They're strong

Will sitting them out in a covered area ( I have a carport that is open on the short ends) for a few days air them out? Or will they stay strong? 

Thanks! Ane

Honored Contributor

Re: Luminaria wax "vanilla" smell

I must have a weak sense of smell.  I never smell scent on my luminaras after unboxing them.  I have 14.  I think if you are smelling a strong scent that it won't go away.

Honored Contributor

I love luminara candles but really despise the super stong vanilla scent! Every time I walk by where the candles are I smell it. I really wish they'd do them unscented. I've had mine sitting out for several months and the scent has yet to dissipate, unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care wrote:

I just recieved the set of 4 5" wax candles, and while they are gorgeous, and a good size, the smell is giving me a headache. It's supposed to be vanilla, but these smell like Palmers cocobutter! They're strong

Will sitting them out in a covered area ( I have a carport that is open on the short ends) for a few days air them out? Or will they stay strong? 

Thanks! Ane

I have some that stink also.  It doesn't  smell like vanilla, that's for sure!  What really gets me is that neither QVC in the item description, nor the Luminara rep in the presentations say that they are scented, or will say slightly.  I burn scented candles with delicious scents, and I can't understand why Luminara insists on putting the odor in them.

The frosted candles that are on clearance are not scented, so I bought many of these, but do not buy other Luminara candles due to the odor.

Valued Contributor

I bought the rustic brown ones, knowing fully they would smell.  Of course, they do, so I put them in my husband's sitting area. Smiley Happy I'm hoping it will dissipate one day.

There is the smell of vanilla, but there is that something else that makes it give off a strong perfumery powdery scent. I say it is a vanilla perfume for men.  It is what I came across the last purchase I'll ever make from philosophy in shower gels and all were fruity or should have been. And I had been buying the shower gels for many years.

Honored Contributor

@Nomore wrote:

I bought the rustic brown ones, knowing fully they would smell.  Of course, they do, so I put them in my husband's sitting area. Smiley Happy I'm hoping it will dissipate one day.

There is the smell of vanilla, but there is that something else that makes it give off a strong perfumery powdery scent. I say it is a vanilla perfume for men.  It is what I came across the last purchase I'll ever make from philosophy in shower gels and all were fruity or should have been. And I had been buying the shower gels for many years.

@Nomore  LOL Nomore, putting them in your DH's sitting area, so funny!  Does he complain?  My stinkly Luminaras are in the garage airing out for this past year, so am hoping they will be less stinky by Christmas.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is why now I get most of my Luminara candles at PB. They are all unscented and have the flat tops on them.

Also, they have some awesome designs, they are more expensive at PB but you can  get pretty good deals with coupons and free shipping.

I got my last one at my local PB store on clearance, a 8 inches tall one with a gorgeous Moroccan tile pattern on it. Love too that they don't make that annoying clicking sound like some of the Luminaras here at QVC and their plastic thingy mecanism looks different too.

Super Contributor

I decided to return them today. Smiley Sad They are the perfect size, and just what I needed for my unused Real Flame gel fireplace in the kitchen. I read the reviews about the scent, but decided to order any way since the same was said about the Solare version. They had a subtle, actual, vanilla scent that went away in a few hours. 

This is my first return ever, after decades of purchasing. Gotta say, I'm bummed. Thanks for helping me decide! --Ane

Honored Contributor

I didn't know the ones at PB were unscented! I will have to start looking there.

Honored Contributor

I can't figure out why they put scents on these either. It's stopped me from buying a lot of them that would be perfect otherwise. I found some similar ones at Pier 1 last year on a clearance table. I'm not certain of the brand or if there is one. I've also purchased some at Tuesday Morning.