Honored Contributor

Re: Luminara Extravaganza W/TSV!!

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

A couple of thoughts on the Luminara lanterns:

1) Remember to remove the packaging carefully... I almost damaged the flame part in my Churchill lantern.

2) Has anyone actually removed the candle from a lantern?  If so, can batteries still be installed?

THX in TIA!

@LTT1  Yes, the packing of the Luminara candle is a bit of a pain to remove around the flame/candle, however I don't mind since it serves it's purpose well by protecting it during shipping. 

We have 4 of the Churchill lanterns, so I know what you are talking about...

I just waited til I had the time and patience. I sat down on the floor with them so I could have better leverage holding the lantern in place while turning around the tube-like cardboard and using a sharp box cutter to snip off the top part of the tube and angle it away from the flame area.

There are 4 screws on the bottom if you want to remove the candle.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

1) Remember to remove the packaging carefully... I almost damaged the flame part in my Churchill lantern.

2) Has anyone actually removed the candle from a lantern?  If so, can batteries still be installed?

THX in TIA!

Check out mallemo's post #111 on this thread.  She is the master of removing luminaras!  I don't have the guts yet to try it.  I got the19"ers & to me the candle balance is just fine.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

THX in TIA!

Check out mallemo's post #111 on this thread.  She is the master of removing luminaras!  I don't have the guts yet to try it.  I got the19"ers & to me the candle balance is just fine.  Good luck!

When I removed the resin/plastic candle from my Luminara Cathedral lantern I did not want to use it because it had no glow from within. You can still insert batteries in them though as removing them does not remove the battery cover. There will be an opening there and I just sat my taller Luminara over that opening and you can't tell the difference. Of course it is not anchored down by the screws but it's just on my hearth inside and has no chance of tipping over in the wind, etc.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Received my TSV Luminara lanterns today.  Wow! I love the scale of the 25".  It's perfect for my use.  I've only unpacked one of the two so far.  One issue for me was trying to get the battery box closed after inserting the batteries.  Because the lanterns can be used outside, they made them with a silicone O-ring to seal the battery and protect the batteries from moisture.  Since I plan to use mine indoors only, I removed the O-ring which allowed me to easily close the compartment door.  You can easily put the O-ring back in if you decided you wanted to use the lanterns outside.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

Received my TSV Luminara lanterns today.  Wow! I love the scale of the 25".  It's perfect for my use.  I've only unpacked one of the two so far.  One issue for me was trying to get the battery box closed after inserting the batteries.  Because the lanterns can be used outside, they made them with a silicone O-ring to seal the battery and protect the batteries from moisture.  Since I plan to use mine indoors only, I removed the O-ring which allowed me to easily close the compartment door.  You can easily put the O-ring back in if you decided you wanted to use the lanterns outside.

WOW..that was fast.  I can't wait to get mine. Thanks for the info on the O ring.

Respected Contributor

@MTH wrote:

@Marsha2003 wrote:

WOW..that was fast.  I can't wait to get mine. Thanks for the info on the O ring.

Usually, orders from QVC take forever to get to me.  These must be shipping from the West Coast direct from Luminara.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

THX in TIA!

@LTT1  Yes, the packing of the Luminara candle is a bit of a pain to remove around the flame/candle, however I don't mind since it serves it's purpose well by protecting it during shipping. 

We have 4 of the Churchill lanterns, so I know what you are talking about...

I just waited til I had the time and patience. I sat down on the floor with them so I could have better leverage holding the lantern in place while turning around the tube-like cardboard and using a sharp box cutter to snip off the top part of the tube and angle it away from the flame area.

There are 4 screws on the bottom if you want to remove the candle.

@Susan Louise Thank you so much! When they arrive, I will return to your explanation!  TAGS: Luminara, remove, flame

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone, I so loved that lantern.  I didn't get it as budget didn't allow but if I had I would have gotten the largest one.  I just love lanterns.  I"ll look around town to see if I can find one cheaper.  It's hard when you don't have many stores to choose from.  I have Michael's, Pier 1, Target, Kohl's and not much more but maybe online too I can find one.

Enjoy seeing what everyone got too!

Respected Contributor

Although I didn't get this TSV, I love Luminara candles and have them all over my house. I am looking forward to reading all your reviews on this lantern.