Valued Contributor

Luminara Candles -- how long do they last?

I bought several Luminara candles over the holidays and I just love them!  This is my first experience with them -- I put them in lanterns and plan to leave them out all year. They are set to go on and off at the same time every night.  I just love convenience of the timer and not having to worry about turning them on and off each day.  (If I have to think about it, I won't do it!)

I was just wondering, should I be conserving use of the candles instead of letting them turn on every day?  Should I save them for special occasions?   Will the bulbs last or do they burn out?  I'm not talking about battery life, I just want to know if the light keeps working, or does it wear out?  

I'm interested in hearing about your experience with these candles.  Thanks in advance for sharing.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Luminara Candles -- how long do they last?

I've owned about 60 of them for over 5 years, and I've never had one fail.

Valued Contributor

Wow!  Thanks, that's good to hear!

Honored Contributor

I have around 30.  All work.  The oldest is eight years.  I rotate mine, like I rotate my decor.  I would keep using them.  May as well enjoy them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Beauty Maven I have many purchased over the years, and only have had one die ~ don't know why it did ~ just tossed it. I try to replenish when there's a good sale, just in case. I use them all year except maybe the height of the summer when it stays light so long. Might as well save on the batteries if I'm already in bed. LOL Please use yours and enjoy !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@Beauty Maven

Me too!! I'm just loving them, and love the remote feature. They're quite beautiful and I've always loved a burning candle in the evenings but hated the soot and smell when extinguishing them. I purchased some sets of Candle Impressions quite a long time ago, and those have held up great, so I hope these new Luminara's do too. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@Beauty Maven, I have a mix of the old Candle Impressions (with a realistic faux wick), and about 3 or 4 Luminara pillar candles.  The Luminaras maybe I've had only about 3 years, but at least two of them I have "burning" daily, and they've been as reliable as the Candle Impressions.  Good brands!

Am excited, I just got two of the Luminara taper candles for my birthday, and they are beautiful!  We put them in two old wooden barley twist candlesticks up on a cabinet, and the slender candles look so real!  Almost more so than pillars for some reason.

I totally understand your excitement!

Honored Contributor

I personally find Candle Impression to be a more quality candle when it comes to all features combined, and I've never had a CI or Mirage fail.

I have probably purchased 75 or more flameless candles in several brands for myself and gifts, many Luminara, and have had three of those Luminara fail over time. They simply quit working. It really isn't a horrible fail rate, but for the cost, it is bothersome. One of the reasons I prefer Candle Impressions Mirage is the much more reasonable cost, longer battery life, better wax and colors and textures than much of what QVC offers in Luminara. 

I rotate my candles, as I have different colors for different seasons and holidays. I dont' use the timers on a lot of my Luminara anymore as I like the remote feature so much better. I may go many nights and never be in a particular room or I may have daytime guests and wish to have all the candles and lanterns lit during a time when the timers aren't scheduled to be on. Using the remote feature allows me more flexibility (as well as not having to mess up the display to change when I want them on and off) and doesn't waste batteries because they come on when using timer mode, even when I may not be at home or may not be in that room for the time they are lit. 

Depending on how you handle the candles, store them (not too hot, cold or damp) and how often you rotate them in and out of use will determine how long they last, but I'm getting years and years out of mine, with very little failure.

Honored Contributor

I still have the first Luminara presented from many years ago. I did have a problem with 2 votive Luminaras. They were battery eaters. I had to put new ones in every 7 days...so I tossed them. They were obviously defective.

Candle Impressions do have the best battery life and I still have my originals from so many years ago. Actually..I still have all my CI candles and they work perfectly. I have had the outdoor ones sitting outside for years and are still going strong.

I too switch them out for seasons and Holidays.

I have a bit of a candle and Lantern obsession. 

Respected Contributor

I have owned six of them over the past five years.  Every single one of them died within six months to a year.  Only one was purchased at QVC, the others at a local Christmas shop.  They don't carry them anymore because of the complaints.  I won't purchase them again.  I hope you have better luck than I did!