Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lots of little things or one big thing?

Both, of course! This is easy for me, however, since I buy myself plenty of gifts.😃

Respected Contributor

I like the one thing that I ask for and need.  Last year it was floor mats for my car.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We decided years ago that for our birthdays and Christmas we would choose something very inexpensive and very meaningful or  just fun. The last gift I bought him was a "bull and bears" clock that I found in a thrift store for .50.  It works great and he was delighted since he was big into his stocks. He couldn't find anything since he was not well and could not get out, but gave me two crisp new $2.00 bills.  I actually cherish them.Thru the years we had more fun with this idea and we always declared one of us the winner.

If we wanted something or needed something we just went out and got it. No stress in our gift closet! And lots of laughs.

Your original question, however, reminds me of someting my Dad used to tell me . . . "Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed".  So true.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup-

Your post was so cute! I bet he really appreciated that clock!

It reminded me of the time I got what I thought was the best Christmas present just made for my DH! He was always making tacos and you know how all the stuff can get so messy and disorganized? 

Well, I found a plastic taco maker in one of those Harriet Carter type magazines. I thought, he will really like using this.

WEll, there was a kind of silence , probably a shocked silence from him and my kids when he opened it. It turned out to be I guess they thought one of the tackiest presents they'd ever seen lol!

It became the worst present joke for years to come.

WEll! It was the thought that counts, even if from the wrong side of the tracks😑

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It varies depending on what I need or want. Sometimes one bigger gift is best, other times I'm wanting or needing some smaller things. 

I like to be surprised though.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For all special milestones and for Christmas, I prefer one important memorable gift from my DH. Then, as the years go by, I can think back and recall all the happy memories associated with it along with the date.

I always buy myself a special gift for my birthday and Christmas since there were several years those were the only gifts I received. I learned to be kind to myself and make the best of every situation.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

For me it’s all about the card. I keep them in a special box and I like to go back and reread them. Lots of meaning to me. 

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak

I agree about the card.  DH spends time in selecting cards for me, for the kids and for the grandkids.  I know the sentiment expressed in the card is how he feels as he takes the time to read and think about the cards he selects for us.  I do keep the cards he gets me. 

Of course, I like the present too as I usually tell him what I want.  We give each other one gift - not more than $100 and can be less depending on what else may be going on expense wise.   And each of the kids and grandkids 2 gfits to open and money (which is what they prefer now that they are older).  For the  kids and grands I shop locally so they can return if they choose easily enough and i can use the store specials and coupons to get them better items for less money as we have downsized gift giving since we are sorta (semi) retired.  

My gift used to be jewelry for Christmas, birthday, etc. but I now have more than enough and we no longer spend a lot of money on gifts for each other.

Honored Contributor

lots of little boxes full of jewelry

Respected Contributor

It was fun reading this.

I asked for one special thing....will be posting pictures right after Christmas!

Merry....Merry!