Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for the most effective brand of mouse poison

I've have had the best luck with the sticky traps. I just put them where I know they are. Usually  the next morning or so there they are. I've used them for rats too.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper,

Have you checked underneath the chair to see if the mice have made a nest inside of it?   That may be why you keep seeing mice running out from under it.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't use poison because I have dogs. Once I asked a Vet if I used Decon in the garage and dogs got the mouse would it poison them and he said it will. 
 In the garages I keep a type of glue trap for mice that kills them fast when they enter. I use others also mostly for lizzards and snakes that can get in garages. The bug man who sprays outside told me if a lizard that's alive

or pet gets stuck to a glue trap to use vegetable oil to remove it.

I hide traps where dogs can't reach. With cold weather coming mice will come inside more.

Inside I don't worry or have mice because I have the two Jack Russells so I've never had mice inside. 

Valued Contributor

I've found Tin Cat live traps do a wonderful job (I live next to a corn field, so we always get a ton of mice).  You have to release them away from your house though or they will get back in.  You should also seal any entry points that you can find. 

Poison is insanely cruel and often kills pets and other wildlife, and glue traps are just a hideous death.  I would never have it in a home with pets or children.  The Tin Cat often catches several mice at once. 

Respected Contributor

I have read and responded to the previous posts complaining about mice and the neighborhood.

Just because one dislikes creatures does not mean one should go around killing them. 

I am completely against the use of any kind of poison for any reason. Humans are destroying the environment and these dangerous chemicals do not easily disappear.

Also, I do not want any other creatures to be endangered by poison.

I am also against sticky traps that make animals and insects suffer needlessly.  Compassion should be a priority.

Obviously there is an issue with entry to the home--very easy to enter for mice, some kind of food smells that attract them, no fear of inside predators or deterrents (cats, dogs, ultrasonic sounds, peppermint, steel wool, etc.).

Perhaps it would be more effective to line the entire outside foundation with sheet metal strips and steel wool and make sure there are no holes near windows, pipes, chimneys and roof/attic areas.

Esteemed Contributor

DH uses 2 different kinds of poison.  I case they don't like one & will eat the other one. He says brand doesn't matter.  He puts it down every fall and spring. 

Valued Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper --I was just going to ignore your post, but I feel the need to respond. Your are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I do not share your viewpoint. The poison and traps I'm using are inside my home, so I'll do as I please. And I'm already doing everything I can to find all entry points. As for "compassion" for these nasty, disease-ridden rodents, I have none. They may not bother you, but for someone like me who's scared to death of them, they are truly disrupting my life.

I don't go downstairs now except to have breakfast and lunch. I'm not having supper because I don't want to go down after it gets dark. I am a prisoner in my bedroom. Every little noise causes me to sit up and look around to see if they've come upstairs. I'm not even able to wash my hair because the only place I can do so happens to be in the kitchen where they frequent. The constant fear and stress is keeping my blood sugar levels high, so they're affecting my health. And that's not forget all the money they're costing me--money I can't afford to be wasting on them. Oh, and let's not forget all of the cleanup I'll have to do if I ever get rid of them. Things like cleaning all of the carpets (every room in this house has carpet), the dishes, pots and pans, and so on. My health isn't that good, so if you think all of this work will be easy on me, think again. Compassion? I haven't one drop for them. If you want to catch them and let them go, great. Me--I'll use any and all means to get rid of them.

Now many of you would probably say I'm overreacting. I would agree with you. Unfortunately, my fear is that strong, and whether rational or not, that is how I feel. I will have no peace until every single one of these creatures are dead.

Honored Contributor

Simple solution is to go to your local shelter and adopt a kitty. You, not only will have a lifelong pal, but you'll never be bothered by mice invading your home again! A win-win in my book! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Mine also say "MEOW".

Valued Contributor

I may have posted this already on your other thread, but have you tried the rodent repellant as well?  From a hardware store or home improvement store, look for FreshCab.  It is a natural repellant that has worked very well for us in out camper parked out in the middle of the woods throughout the year.