Valued Contributor

Looking for the most effective brand of mouse poison

I thought about placing this question on my other posting about having "mice again" but thought it might be better to do it separately. In my original posting, I mentioned that I have many, many traps out and of different types, none of which have caught anything since I first saw the mice back last Friday evening. We also have some poison out (two different brands). 

My relative was here today, checking things out, and saw that some of the poison he placed below a chair had been eaten. Now that is good except for the fact that I'm not quite sure that particular brand is any good. It's the Mouse X brand (I got it about a month ago because that's what the local Handyman store recommended). I hadn't really read reviews on it previously until just a few minutes ago, and it turns out that there are a lot of negative comments. Sounds like, for a lot of people, all that happens is the mice just keep coming back to eat it, but it doesn't kill them. They're using it as a food source.

So, just wanted to ask those of you who have used poison to kill mice, which brands have you found to be truly effective. I want to be rid of them permanently. Getting tired of hiding out in my bedroom. Thanks for any help.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for the most effective brand of mouse poison

Have you tried the electronic gadget you plug into your outlets? It sends out a signal that the rodents can't tolerate. I have had one plugged in my kitchen outlet for about 15 years. Look on line or at hardwaew stores. I am sorry for your situation. I can't stand mice or snakes.

Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend Tomcat brand. I recently used their rat poison when I saw a rat run by my patio door. I almost died! I have no idea where it came from.

Hubby got the Tomcat brand from Home Depot and we saw that it was eaten, but didn't see any dead rat until 2 days later ...it was laying in my driveway.(we were careful to put it under a piece of furniture so any neighborhood cats wouldn't be able to get it)

It had a mark on its side, so I knew it was the same rat. I haven't seen any since.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't speak to the poison but I can tell you that the brand of mousetrap I have good luck with is Tomcat. I get them at Home Depot. They come in a set of two for about 10 bucks. I get the ones you don't have to look at the dead mouse. They're encased inside the trap.You put a wee bit of cheese or peanut butter, I use the latter, in the little trap door. You set them and place them against the wall, cause that's where mice travel. When one is caught the lever goes from Set to Mouse Caught. I wouldn't use poison because what if they eat it and go somewhere to die where you don't know and all you know is something stinks somewhere.

Editing. Just saw Nataliesgramma's post. Her hubby got the same brand as me also at Home Depot but sounds like a different type than the ones I have cause they had a rat. You and I are only dealing with mice.

Honored Contributor

The pest control company put the bait traps with poison out for me.  I know it was a drug.  Didn't the second pest control company you called put poison traps out?  I thought they would do that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

get an exterminator,

they can put the stuff in a manner that is safer,

Honored Contributor

@kjayr wrote:

Have you tried the electronic gadget you plug into your outlets? It sends out a signal that the rodents can't tolerate. I have had one plugged in my kitchen outlet for about 15 years. Look on line or at hardwaew stores. I am sorry for your situation. I can't stand mice or snakes.

I have these all over my house, but still had mice, it makes them run, but not necessarily to run out of the house. I called an exterminator and set up a long term plan, they come out every 90 days to do a check, and since I had them, no more mice. Worth every penny. 

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper,

The #1 thing to look for with rat/mouse bait are the words “quick kill”.   Best scenario is for the rodent to eat the bait and die on the spot.   

There are baits where the rodent can eat its fill, but until it drinks water, the bait is not activated to kill.   That could take hours.

My exterminator was filling our 3 outside bait boxes with “green bait”, but based on at least 2 boxes being empty every month, he is now using red bait.   

Valued Contributor

@NickNack --I didn't end up hiring the second company who did a free inspection yesterday. He saw all of the traps I had out, as well as the first company's poison bait traps (my relative put out more poison), and said there wasn't really anything more they could do for me except to monitor. I was already doing everything they would do. I appreciate the honesty, but would have liked some fresh ideas to help me out. One thing that wasn't good was that, since he didn't see any droppings and nothing had been trapped since Friday, he figured they had left. Sure! I knew better than that. In fact, about an hour after he left, one ran across the kitchen floor. Too bad he didn't inspect the chair where they like to go under. I told him about that, but he didn't check it out. If he had, he would have found droppings under the cushion ( my relative just discovered that today).

I am really finding the behavior of this latest batch of mice to be very strange. Like the first group, they don't just run around close to the walls. No, they'll run right across the middle of the floor. Also, like the first group, they don't wait till it's dark to show themselves. They will come out in the afternoon. Unlike the first group, though, they aren't going into the traps. We keep putting more down and nothing happens. I just ate and came back up to my bedroom, but right before doing so, I heard the familiar squeak, squeak. I'm actually looking for a place to stay to get away from them. I really don't know how much longer I can take this.

@shaggygirl --I have those types of traps, too, but the nasty things just aren't going in any type of trap I have. I'm beginning to think I need to leave and use a rodent smoke bomb in the house. They're supposed to be used outdoors only, but I'm getting desperate.

@RedTop  and nataliesgramma--Thanks for the suggestions of Tomcat and to look for products that say "quick kill." I check into those.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper   I'm really sorry you're going through this.  I know it must be very stressful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau