Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for paint color for a utility room

When you say utility room do you mean laundry room/mud room?  Is it very visible from the kitchen? Do you get the feel of it being part of the kitchen?

Honored Contributor

@morganjen, I like your instinct to go with a green that complements your warm gray-- that's a sophisticated combo.  My go-tos are always the Historical collection from Benjamin Moore.  They are time-tested and don't look garish.   Have had luck with their "Van Alen Green" (and it looks great with greige), very soft yet happy:

e6b5d977a68b291cf09b81ff07f82e3f--mint-kitchen-blue-green-kitchen.jpg

I also like @Scooby doo's suggestion of "Wythe Blue",  which is another big favorite with designers:

wythe blue dining room.jpg

If you want to be TOTALLY safe for resale, you could go with an interesting neutral like "Soft Chamois",  or "Ballet White" or "Muslin",  but I don't think that a color (unless it's totally obnoxious, and even then) in a utility room would kill the sale of a house.  I think going for something soft and fresh that coordinates with your existing kitchen color is a good idea...

Honored Contributor

@morganjen   Are you keeping the wallpaper or removing it? What color is your kitchen?

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoonIt's a laundry room that has our pantry, clothes rack, and two bookcases. It's very visible from the kitchen. I use the room a lot.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOODNo, I'm getting rid of the wallpaper. It's very outdated with a molding panel going across the top separating it from the rest of the wall. I am going to remove everything and just paint the walls one color. The kitchen is painted a griege/warm gray color.

Honored Contributor

@morganjen   Are you keeping the same color in the kitchen and/or repainting it too in the same color? What are your current accent colors ie cupboards & counter top & back splash?

Honored Contributor

I would stick with the same color as your kitchen just to make it look cohesive.  If you wanted something different, at least stay within the same color family that the kitchen is painted. 

Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOODWe are in the process of updating the kitchen. It had an even worse, early-90's country striped, strawberries, baskets... wallpaper than the other room. I managed to remove the border going around the top part near the ceiling and painted it that warm gray we used for the other rooms we remodeled a year ago. (Eventually will remove the rest of the wallpaper and use tile for behind the stove and sink.)

Honored Contributor

@morganjen   Then I think I'd definitely choose a color that complements the kitchen.  I might consider going a shade darker because I find that rooms like these can get marks on the walls more easily than other rooms. I know you mentioned you don't want it to be a grey/beige like the kitchen, but there are different intensities of that color that might appeal to you.  And unless you are in love with wall paper, I would strip it and paint the room a solid color. (Excluding the trim, of course.)

Esteemed Contributor

I think you need to keep it in the lighter shades due to the location and space.....I like a light dove grey or slste with undertone of blue. I also like a camel color (not yellow base but aq brown base) It's a bit richer than a beige but a nice neutral. 

I'm in the middle of a DIY project with a spare room. I pick up a few paint chips from the hardware store and tape them up on the wall to see which color looks the best. It's good to see the color in different times of the day as well as from the different adjourning rooms.