Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for smart thermostat recs?

@Nightowlz wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

We tried to install one in our home but found out we don't have the correct wiring and an electrician would be needed.  At that point we went with a Not so Smart (LOL) thermostat.  The cost of the electrician outweighed our need to have a Smart thermostat.

@mimomof4 

I did not think of any of that before buying the Nest thermostat or Ring Doorbell Pro. They both worked with our wiring plus Internet speed.

@Nightowlz We had a problem getting the Ring Doorbell (LOL) as well.  We had to re-wire it ourselves in order to get it to work.  Our home was built in the 60's and we constantly find things are wired strange. 

Valued Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

We tried to install one in our home but found out we don't have the correct wiring and an electrician would be needed.  At that point we went with a Not so Smart (LOL) thermostat.  The cost of the electrician outweighed our need to have a Smart thermostat.

@mimomof4 We really need one as we are away from the house quite often in winter for weeks at a time. There aren't too many good temperature monitors out there, so we thought this would be the best route. I'm 99% sure we have the correct wiring. If not, we'll have to figure it out! There are a couple of ways to work around that. 

Valued Contributor

It is a weight lifted to have the alert @Marybella ! We have a home where it gets very cold in the winter (albeit, I try to avoid it Jan-March/April). We are on a waterway that is prone to harsh wind/power outages. Whichever thermostat you go with, you'll feel a sense of relief when you are away for a period of time!

Valued Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

It is a weight lifted to have the alert @Marybella ! We have a home where it gets very cold in the winter (albeit, I try to avoid it Jan-March/April). We are on a waterway that is prone to harsh wind/power outages. Whichever thermostat you go with, you'll feel a sense of relief when you are away for a period of time!

@Mellyg You are right. We have a temperature monitor now, but the company is ending support of it by Dec. 31 so that is why I have to have an alternate option. We were on vacation in March a few years ago and the alert came in by text. We immediately called our heating company and they repaired the boiler for us. It's great peace of mind to have a monitor. 

Honored Contributor

@Marybella    Why don't you purchase a programmable thermostat?  This way you turn heat on for a certain temperature and at bedtime you program it the temp to be a little lower.  I had one and it was wonderful especially when you are a working person or in your case, away from home.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Marybella    Why don't you purchase a programmable thermostat?  This way you turn heat on for a certain temperature and at bedtime you program it the temp to be a little lower.  I had one and it was wonderful especially when you are a working person or in your case, away from home.

@Katcat1 I want it so that I get alerts if the temperature drops below 50 degrees. We are away from home quite often and need a temperature monitor. If we are away from home for a length of time and the furnace quits we could end up with frozen pipes. Trying to prevent that from happening. We have had a programmable thermostat for over 20 years. They are wonderful!