Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for opinions on "walk-in" tubs

@151949 wrote:

When my Dad was at a nursing home they had some walk in tubs for the residents. They seemed to feel they were a great luxury.My Dad could not use one for various reasons- mostly that he was a quadraplegic. However, the ladies seemed to like them.They had a sprayer for washing their hair. 

When I had to place my mother in a dementia-type facility, I looked for one with a bathtub because she didn't like showers.  The only one I found with a walk-in tub had disabled it because the residents became anxious and/or agitated as the tub filled and then drained.

Honored Contributor

I don't like the idea of being LOCKED in a tub of water.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

In 2007 we had WV Rebath remove our harvest gold fiberglass shower, and harvest gold one piece tub unit, and upgrade both bathrooms for $14,000.

A friend decided to look into a walk-in tub, and by the time it was done, she was in for $19,000 if I remember correctly.   Due to her size, she had to go for a larger, more expensive unit, plus widen the space and reinforce the bathroom floor  to accommodate the unit.   Then outdated and unsafe plumbing had to be switched over to PVC, so it turned out to be way more expensive than she expected.   It takes quite a bit of water for her to soak and bathe, which drains her water heater.  

Since she only has the one bathroom in her old house, she still uses the tub every day; still complains, and regrets jumping in so quickly without even considering a handicapped accessible shower with dual shower heads, or side spray, etc.  

Rebath in Arizona just finished our remodel last Friday and they did a wonderful job. We had two 30 year old bathrooms done. One they removed the old ceramic marble enclosure and replaced that, the other we went from a garden tub to a walk in shower with a seat and grab bars. So if there is a Rebath in your area maybe you can check them out. 

The walkin tubs are very expensive. My 91 year old aunt was bound and determined she wanted one in her apartment and thankfully when we told her to go look at them the salesman at Rebath told her they were not for her. He was honest and wasn't in it just for the commission. He didn't see an old lady and think it was an easy sell. She is still pretty much all there even at 91. Anyway they are pricy, hard to open, and small once inside. She ended up moving to another facility and thankfully they have a shower she doesn't have to crawl in to get at. 

Honored Contributor

90 seconds to two minutess to drain the tub while the fire alarm is whailing away?  I'd open the door and let the water cascade out.  But seriously I will never have a tub of any type, I don't care if I win one.  I still remember cleaning the tub as a child with that gritty Ajax powder.  I absolutely can't stand grit of any sort, I won't even use powder laundry detergent. 

Esteemed Contributor

I thought they addressed the waiting time for water to drain by making a heated seat.  My neighbor has one in an in law suite.  She was bathing her grandson one day, leaned on the latch and the door opened.  Water everywhere.  She's not a fan.  No personal experience with them myself.  I think I would opt for the large walk in shower.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I looked into them when I moved my Mom in with me. The quotes were very expensive and I wasn't convinced that she would be any safer than in a shower chair. Our realtor told us that they devalue a house/bath so that's a "good to know" fact depending on whose home is going to be involved.  Mom was very happy with the shower chair and her emergency button combo. It all depends on what is going to make you feel safe and secure.

Honored Contributor

Rebath walk in shower: my area was serviced by the Dothan , Alabama  franchise. We had only a 1 1/2 Bath. My primary care doctor said several of his patients did the walk in tub and within 5 to 6 years using walkers and wheel chairs and had to redo the bath to walk in shower. Our house was built in 1966. DH had back and neck issues with the lower vanity. Talked with the Rebath rep and decided to do a total bathroom remodel ($12000) . Because of the small bath room- they suggested for the linen closet to recess it into the wall for more space behind the door. Installed a new medicine cabinet. New sink and taller vanity. Instead of the newer higher toilets - still not high enough for spouse found on the Internet - a toilet riser= a 3 inch base to put the toilet on. Installed textured vinyl flooring to prevent falls. Installed walk in shower with about 3 inch step up, grab bars , standard shower head and hand held shower head. All done in 3 days. Primary care doctor provided Rx for remodel and was able to use part for medical deduction on income taxes. Rebath was wonderful and professional and no regrets other than we should have not waited so long. Sorry tried to change the photos and size. Southern Bee

If the base needs to be swapped out for incline to accomdate wheel chair not expensive.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I don't have one but you have to sit there wet and naked while the water drains out.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't have one but you have to sit there wet and naked while the water drains out.

Wouldn't you also have to get in it & sit there while it fills up with water, too?  No thanks!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

While not nearly as big a deal as others have brought to the table, I have always wondered how uncomfortable it is to sit there, wet and naked, while the water drains out enough to open the door. 

I thought I heard it took two minutes for them to drain.

That's what keeps me from having one installed, although one I have researched takes 90 seconds to drain.  I also wonder how easy it is to be submerged to the top of the shoulders:/

@tansy

Anyone know how many gallons of water ones hold to fill fairly full, and how that compares to a regular average bathtub or the amount used for a standard shower?