Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for opinions on a kitchen sink>

I've had my share of kitchen sinks! Just about every style avaiable! Full one bowl sink, 60/40 sink, double sink. I love the double sink I have now, each the same size. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I got a large extra deep single SS sink when we built, very happy with it. Had to pay extra for the extra deep.

Valued Contributor

I've had double stainless sinks in the past and liked them, BUT... the new ones tend to be really made cheap and the price is not cheap. 

I recently had my kitchen redone and went with a 60/40 Blanco siligranit sink in a light biscuit color.  I LOVE IT so  far.  I also had a tall faucet installed, now I can wash my taller stock pots, etc..without any difficulty at all..

You do have to be careful  what you put down in any sink, as it may corrode the finish or stain (yes, even stainless corrodes and stains).. but if you go stainless, make sure you get a better quality finish and thickness ..it will make a difference after a few years.. it will not be cheap, but will save you money in the long run..

Honored Contributor

In the years 37 years that I have had kitchen sinks...I started with stainless steel then white porcelain (scratched and stained) moved on to corian (got a hairline crack) and back to stainless steel which I will stick with. It was the easiest to clean,looks good, and held up to daily use and abuse.

Respected Contributor

I've always had a stainless sink.  I think they're super easy to take care of.  I use Soft Scrub on it every so often and it's perfect. 

It's a divided sink - 50/50.  I wouldn't want one big sink. 

Valued Contributor

I'm a single compartment gal because it is easy to wash any pan or cookie sheet. I have a stainless steel one that we put in right after we bought our very old house.  I asked my husband to immediately rip out the small 2 compartment sink ASAP.  We were in the plumbing business for 40 years and I feel the best advice from me is not on what you buy but where you buy it.  Go to the wholesale house that plumbers use.  The products there are 100% better than those at the do-it-yourself places.  Yes they are more expensive but worth it.  And, they have tons of items on display.

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered what is a double sink for? I know that might sound like an ignorant question but I just can't picture what it is useful for and yes my pans don't fit in mine. I use my 2nd part of the double to keep dish liquid, hand soap-kind of a convenient place to keep them I guess.

What do others use theirs for?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

When we remodeled our Pa kitchen I got a large corian farmer'ssink - loved how it looked and the function. New housev - double bowl SS - hate it - will change it if we don't move. In my camper I have a 1 1/2  corian sink. Way too small - i end up giving the large items to DH to wash outside at the spikot because they don't fit in the sink.The tiny 1/2 sink is just useless. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a quartz sink and like it very much.  It has two basins with the one on the left being larger.  It is a tan color that coordinates nicely with my granite countertops.  It is easy to clean.  It was a good choice for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I've always wanted a single sink. I've had the kind with the shallow bowl where the garbage disposal goes - Kohler SS - and that was very good. Actually, I often used the small, shallow side to wash dishes and glasses. Had a 'builder install' double sink when I was married. That was a bust as was the husbandWoman Wink!  Now, I live in my parents' home. They had a double, white porcelain sink, which was okay. Had to do a slight remodel job. Couldn't get a single sink 'cause did not was the added expense of changing the plumbing around. So, I got a Krauss 60/40 sink. It's fabulous! It's like the depest sink, I've ever seen.  And, friends and family agreed. Got it on Overstock - great deal, also. It's stainless steel, has stainless racks for the bottom of each side, came with high-neck faucet, soak dispenser, Krauss black dry cloth and, the smaller side has a little stainless steel 'cup' with holes in it which does into the drainer and a cover on top so all the 'garbage' stuff gets caught up instead of going down the drain. Don't have a garbage disposal for two reasons: well water and cesspool, no septic system; and, the sinks are so deep they'd be minimal space left under that side of cabinet. Also, it's only me and my furbaby now, so we do have that much garbage.

Everybody was shocked and dismayed when I ordered a sink online. Yet, they were all impressed with the quality and value - even the people who did the silestone counter got off on this sink!  Just wanted to mention O 'cause you can get some pretty good values along with really great customer service - and free shipping, even on a sink!