Friends with any tech ed/shop teachers? Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for inexpensive bookcases

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@wildcat fan

Friends with any tech ed/shop teachers? Cat Wink

When I bought most of these books, I had a friend who taught a high school woodworking class.  He and his students made built-in cabinets and several shelves.  Loved them!  Had to leave them behind and he's now retired.  They decided not to offer the class anymore--rumor has it the liability insurance was too high. I'll check around to see if I can find someone. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan

What I like about the cinder block/wood DIY is that you can customize, as you add/remove books.  Home Depot or Lowe's will cut the length you want if you buy the wood from them.  I imagine that if you have a regular hardware store they would do that as well.  Or get them from a place like Ikea, ship them to school, and find a favorite student to come in early and help you assemble.

I can't attach things to the wall, but maybe you can.

Make Your Own Pallet Bookshelf, simple tutorial  http://meandmadeline.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/wood-pallet-bookshelf-mini-tutorial.html

I thought this was cute (and free!) for sorting.

Divide books using paint stirrers and many other tips!

Esteemed Contributor

All great ideas @lolakimono!  So many interesting things on Pinterest!  I could sit for hours looking there.

We don't have a local hardware store except for Lowe's and Home Depot.  Last summer we needed a replacement board for the back deck, but both Lowe's and Home Depot reps said they don't cut wood anymore.  While inquiring about it at Home Depot, a man (another customer) told DH that he'd cut the board for us if DH helped him unload his truck.  DH bought the piece of wood, followed him to his job site, helped him unload the truck, and the guy cut the board to our needed length.  What a funny day!  I asked why DH didn't just buy a saw, and he said we don't need one.  😂

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan

How about any Boy Scouts/Eagle Scouts?  I am sure there is some sort of woodworking badge they could earn.

Church group?  

(Sometimes you have to think like a teacher to get stuff you need desperately for FREE!)Cat Tongue

Trusted Contributor

@wildcat fan

IKEA Billy bookcases. They come in different colors and sizes and you can add additional shelves to suit your needs.

Sometimes, you can bribe the bookeeper to order you some shelves!

Honored Contributor

If you're going to do the cinder block idea, you really don't need a saw to cut the shelving - just move the cinder blocks to fit the shelves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might also want to consider places like Overstock, the 'wire' racks sold widely by many retailers and even the metal bookshelves sold by office supply companies. The problem for me with furniture that I have to put together is first, I don't want to do it... and also that it never seems as sturdy as furniture that comes assembled. I'd considered some pretty bookshelves from Target and a number of other places, but, for me, the assembly required thing is a deal breaker. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

Spoiler

Check out Big Lots, that's where I got mine last year.  Look almost exclty like your picture Smiley Surprised) XOXO