Honored Contributor

Looking for ideas for a centerpiece

[ Edited ]

I have an oval dining room table that seats six. I currently have two Mikasa candlestick holders with tapers on it. I am looking for something to place between them for spring/summer and would appreciate any ideas. TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for ideas for a centerpiece

You could always use a faux flower arrangement or swag in between them. I'm a big crystal lover so I might consider those crystal items from VPH in between those candles. The other item I use is a  mirror dish. I have a few flat ones in different shapes. I usually just place the candlesticks on them for the extra reflection or you could always add any seasonal item in between them. Hope one of these help. 

Esteemed Contributor

I also have an oval table and between my tapers have a crystal bowl with peonies for spring and summer.  Change flowers with the seasons.  Bought the Waterford bowl from QVC during the Irish Christmas presentation years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I'd consider a ginger jar of some sort, my own preference is probably blue and white or possibly just white, but one in color(s) of your choosing would be pretty and wouldn't require seasonal changes but could accommodate them if so desired. There's such variety it would be wasy to pick a size that works for your table and candles.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I tend to avoid formal centerpieces, which sometimes strike me as cliched. A different option is to put the two candles several inches apart at the center of the table, with a suitably sized garland surrounding and running between them (and perhaps extending a bit toward the ends or the sides of the oval). I prefer natural materials for the garland, but whatever pleases you would work.

Respected Contributor

I also have a lovely, big and heavy Waterford bowl in my dining room. I like the way the cut crystal reflects the chandelier lights.  I have two brass candelabra candlesticks on either side.  It is a very formal room.

In my kitchen I use various centerpieces--I have a MacKenzie Childs vase (it might have been an ice bucket) full of pastel silk flowers that I use for Spring/Summer.

There are some nice Waterford vases and bowls on ShopHQ.  

I have many pets, especially cats, so I need to use items that cannot be easily moved or removed (no natural flowers in water--too much temptation to be eaten or knocked over)! 

Honored Contributor

Good ideas all, @RetRN !   There are so many directions you can go in, it's almost dizzying!  I especially like @stevieb 's ginger jar suggestion.

The reason being, there's something about a lidded centerpiece that gives such a finished look, especially on those occasions where you don't have or want, florals or plants.

Another option for between your candlesticks, that also has a lid, is a good-looking soup tureen.   You don't have to be serving soup-- it looks good on its own.  I love vintage ones, like old ironstone, but doesn't have to be old or "precious".

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 2.30.11 PM.png

white3.jpg

soup board 4.jpg

And if you remove the lid, you have a "basin" like bowl that you can arrange stems or florals in, if you wish--

Oriental-Blue-White-tablesetting-pink-peonies-vase-grid-lizbushong.com_-1000x667.jpg

Another alternative I like, is a compote.  It wouldn't have to have air plants in it like this one, you could have anything from blown glass balls, to shells, to pumpkins, or nothing at all in it.  Compotes are so graceful, elevated above the table--

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 2.42.10 PM.png 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am now contemplating since I like all of your ideas. 

Honored Contributor

Agree @Oznell, a tureen is another nice look. I've used both a ginger jar and a tureen, at different times of course, both looking very finished and appealing. Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I've always liked the look of just a large pretty bowl with nothing in it, or the soup tureen or compote as suggested. Let your candles pick up the colors of the season. JMO but silk flowers or silk greenery looks dated. A pretty piece of stoneware or crystal, or even a large well-used wooden bowl always looks inviting to me.