Valued Contributor

Looking for advice about homeowners insurance

I recently had a post about my mice troubles, which are still going on. Well, I now have another problem--my insurance company (Allstate) has notified me that they will not be renewing my homeowners insurance due to the inspector's report that my siding has asbestos. They want me to place new siding over it, something I absolutely can't afford. I have until next April, but I won't be able to afford it then either. Guess if I can't find a company that will insure me (at a reasonable price), I'll just have to do without. There isn't any other choice. 

It just gets me that they covered my mom for decades (this was my parents' home), knowing about the siding, but now, under their new rules, they won't cover it for me. Would anyone know of an insurance company I could try that would cover this? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for advice about homeowners insurance

@qualityshopper You could check to see if the "General " Insurance covers homes in addition to auto's and such.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper. There may be some newly enacted state law that requires insurers to do this, in which case they'd all give you the same response.  Why don't you ask and Dave yourself some trouble?  You should have a state agency that regulates insurers; they should be able to answer your questions as well as take complaints.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Check with the Insurance Commissioner for your State. Perhaps their office will be able to help you. However, I would guess this is an industry-wide policy to protect firefighters and EMT's who would be battling a blaze.

In fact, I'm surprised State Farm would allow asbestos to be covered up. I would have expected it to be removed before new siding installed. For your own health, as well as anyone involved in a fire or other major catastrophy and the clean-up.

Getting away from State Farm would be a wise decision for many reasons. So many posters wrote about problems with that company a few weeks ago. For over 50 years, I've heard horror stories! 

Just make sure you find a good insurance company so you are able to change your insurance policies. You don't want "cancelled" on your insurance history if you plan on ever getting a decent insurance coverage by a reputable company again.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Occasional Contributor

Having worked in insurance for many years, find an independent agent and have them quote you with other companies like Travelers.  State Farm and Allstate can be beat price wise and service wise,

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper   I'm sorry you're facing this predicament.  There are many good suggestions here and I'm hopeful one of them solves your problem.

I'm impressed again by the kindness and helpfulness of posters on this board.  Thank you all.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Check with the Insurance Commissioner for your State. Perhaps their office will be able to help you. However, I would guess this is an industry-wide policy to protect firefighters and EMT's who would be battling a blaze.

In fact, I'm surprised State Farm would allow asbestos to be covered up. I would have expected it to be removed before new siding installed. For your own health, as well as anyone involved in a fire or other major catastrophy and the clean-up.

Getting away from State Farm would be a wise decision for many reasons. So many posters wrote about problems with that company a few weeks ago. For over 50 years, I've heard horror stories! 

Just make sure you find a good insurance company so you are able to change your insurance policies. You don't want "cancelled" on your insurance history if you plan on ever getting a decent insurance coverage by a reputable company again.

@BirkiLady- Her insurer is Allstate not State Farm.

@qualityshopper- Check and see if this is now a requirement in your state before you let your policy lapse.  An insurer broker may be able to you a carrier.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help. Don't know why I didn't think about contacting the state department of insurance about this. Guess it might be due to the constant lack of sleep I've been having for the last two weeks thanks to these nasty mice. I've got a lot of phone calls to make on Monday.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are some grants and low-interest loans (some are interest-free) available for those who are financially qualified. I'm not sure but I think they are handled through the state gov or possibly through EPA dot gov. That might be something to check, too. 

Some time ago I qualified for an interest-free loan from the local city gov. That loan never has to be paid back unless I sell, move out of or re-fi my house. The loan appears as a lien on my current financial status for my home ownership.

Respected Contributor

One thing to consider for your family in the future, if this is required in your state then you never be able to sell your house until it is fixed.  And that could be a real problem for your family.