Honored Contributor

My oven is no longer working ,stove is 10 yrs old ,not sure to call repair person ,considering appliances do not last long, or buying new ,went two places yesterday, not many gas stoves on show room floor, every thing is on web sites.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a new range

[ Edited ]

If you want gas, it's probably best to buy now since gas stoves have been getting a bad rap lately.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My oven is no longer working ,stove is 10 yrs old ,not sure to call repair person ,considering appliances do not last long, or buying new ,went two places yesterday, not many gas stoves on show room floor, every thing is on web sites.

@goldensrbest we recently bought a gas stove online from Lowes, it's a Samsung 30 inch 5 burner slide in.  I love it, works great and was an easy process online.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My last stove purchase was a Kenmore glass-top stove w/self-cleaning oven. The glass-top was probably the best decision I made. So easy to care for.

We have two local Sears repair places in my city so that made it my choice also.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest 

I bought my last appliances, dish washer and refrigerator on line at Best Buy.  Did my research and got exactly what I wanted.  Easy  and no issues.

Honored Contributor

I got a new glass top stove in 2009.  I use the oven for storage and do my baking in my Breville oven.  I've not needed A big oven ever as I only cook for me.  My stove should last forever considering its practically unused.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just bought this stove at Lowes in December..Love it so far ! Researched and found alot of good reviews and read where GE is the best brand for appliances. Home Depot I see now has this same stove for about $100 cheaper...I also researched online and went to the store to order.....finding a few discounts I may add. 

GE 30-in 4 Burners 4.8-cu ft Freestanding Gas Range (Stainless Steel)

Trusted Contributor

10 years is probably a good life span for appliances.

This past fall I had to replace a microwave that suddenly died.  Looking at the sticker on the door we purchased it in 2012.

When I was searching I went to my local independent appliance store they had a model in stock that was the newer version of what I already had.  The big box stores had what appeared to be the same model for less money.  Upon searching a little further the Big Box store had a slightly different model number - An "A" at the end.  The features were slightly different.  This confirmed what I already knew was that less expensive models are made for the big box retailers.  I went back to the independent appliance store and purchased the model they had (I did have to wait a couple days for it to arrive as they already had it on order for their showroom) which was more money ($100 more) but feel it was worth it for better quality.  My guess is that the Big Box version would not last me as long.

Our stove was purchased in 2012 along with the microwave so fingers crossed I don't need to  replace that as well.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest   If you purchase a stove online (Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy) that you like, delivery will be set up locally.

When I bought this house in April, I bought appliances (washer, dryer, pedestals, & refrigerator) online a week before I moved from 2,500 miles away and had the delivery date for my 2nd day in the new house. It worked out perfectly.

I hope you find a nice stove.

Honored Contributor

With all of the news lately about gas stoves I was just wondering if I should get a new one soon. 

My range is almost 20 years old!  ...and still works great.  The reason I remember how old it is because it was brand new when DD graduated from high school.  She will be 38 (!) later this year.

However it's just a matter of time before there are issues and maybe I should look into getting a new gas range this year before I won't be able to.