Occasional Contributor
Has anyone’s Lock n Lock come out of the dishwasher with white stuff all over the inside. It’s not something you can remove. Looks like there’s dishwasher soap melted on it or something. I’ve tried to scrub it off. I’ve had to toss all of it. Has anyone had this experience?
Occasional Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Aneed

no I have lock n locks that I bought many many years ago and I have never had any issues, staining, breakage, seals, etc.

I put them in dishwasher and the silicone seals are still like new!  

The reason I toss them is they are OLD & TIRED and just need to be replaced.

Respected Contributor

@Aneed wrote:
Has anyone’s Lock n Lock come out of the dishwasher with white stuff all over the inside. It’s not something you can remove. Looks like there’s dishwasher soap melted on it or something. I’ve tried to scrub it off. I’ve had to toss all of it. Has anyone had this experience?

@Aneed  YES. Some of my Lock n Lock come out with white stuff all over.  I have no idea why.  

Super Contributor

I don't know if this will help but maybe. Try washing it in vinegar. I have used it to remove soap scum and it worked.

Contributor

I've had that happen, but I don't think it's from the dishwasher.  I think it's pitting from heating things up in the microwave.  It has only happened on Lock n Lock's that I heated things in. 

Honored Contributor

A few pieces of mine did that.  They were the ones I microwaved food in.  The bowls got damaged from the high heat and were etched.  The dishwasher cleans the bowls, but the etched spots look white.

I do not use my L&L in the microwave anymore.

Respected Contributor

Re: Lock n Lock

[ Edited ]

@Aneed  yes I have had several pieces of my lock & lock  come out with a scum like ring after using in the microwave like @Carmie mentioned...and like @bowlicious I soaked in vinegar and most of the scum comes out but not all..I just retired those pieces in the kitchen and use them for storing items in my garage!

Esteemed Contributor

@Aneed I agree that it comes from the microware, not the dishwasher. I could be wrong. I have a ton like that, but I keep using them. I hope they are safe, but most of mine are like that.

Honored Contributor

It's the main reason why I got rid of all my plastic bowls & graduated to OXO glass bowls because of what microwaving does to them.  The only L&L plastic I have are the 1/2 gallon & gallon beverage containers.

And no, eating from those microwave damaged plastic bowls is not safe.  Eventually, nearly mocroscopic pieces of plastic will stick to your food.  Maybe you will not know it until you start chewing.  And that is a big MAYBE~

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif