Honored Contributor

Re: Living Small- 56 Square Meters

I could do it, but it wouldn't be easy.  My house is 1200 sq. ft.  They did a beautiful job with this space.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

This home appears to be beautifully designed with comfortable lounging/work space, an efficient little kitchen and even the hint of a walk-in closet.  Usually very small homes have few of these amenities, especially the closet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono 

There are so many places where they didn't take advantage of storage areas....e.g., the night "tables" shown with 2 decor items.  I would have created two tall functional towers.

The desk/ work table is a total joke.

Again, I come away thinking a lot of the stuff in so many design pictures are soneone's school project and not meant for the real world.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I could do it in the right setting. It's a bright, pleasant space.

We spend so much of our lives accumulating 'things,' only to find ourselves downsizing later in life, while finding out our treasures have little meaning to anyone else.

It's not the 'things' I would miss in a smaller space. Not now, particularly if I had a nice deck outside and room to roam with nature.

No, it's the people I've lost that I miss every day. Not things, not square feet.  In fact, I have rooms, now, that I have to remind myself to go into and,  far too much, expensive upkeep. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I worked in Manhattan.....Yes, beautifully designed for limited space.

Now...No.  I crave open space surrounded by a natural setting.

Although I know I can always live anywhere at any time and make it work - be at peace/happy....mindset is everything.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have to see the floor plan to decide and where is the bathroom?

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono There is something about this house, i.e., the colors, furnishings, etc., that I really love.

Respected Contributor

Nope!!!!!! I need space around me and room to decorate with all the items I enjoy looking at and have downsized them as much as I want to.  I still have many clothes, etc. even though I purge very frequently - I love clothes.  I definitely could never be a minimalist

This is poorly designed in terms of wasted storage space.  No matter how you look at it, very few people can live with no room to walk without bumping into something and no place to put things

Honored Contributor

Could I live in 56 square meters?  Most definitely.  In fact, I'd love to. As long as it was here on my property in the country and not in a metropolitan area.

Could I live in that place, as it's decorated in the photos?  No.

Honored Contributor

I most likely could - for the past few years, my summer apartment, 5-7 months a year, was under 500 square feet and I had a lifetime of furniture, books, etc. in it.  If I had wanted to trash everything and start with furniture chosen for that space and there were no collections, even that space would have been okay.